May 02, 2024, 08:26:30 PM

News:

Dyno run

Started by Retro, May 09, 2020, 10:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro

So I did a dyno run today. My 98" with S&S 585 CAMs did 80 hp and 98 ft lb. Does this sound decent? Also run thundermax ECU. Must admit I was hoping for a little more. 

Coff 06

Have any more details of your build? Stock heads,compression,throttle body,injectors? Can't make a judgment without more input. I had a dealer installed 95" kit that made 87/95 with just a cam change to the SE251
                 Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

PoorUB

I did a 95" years back and it did 88HP and 98 ftlbs. Nothing really special, Andrews 26 cams, stock heads milled .030", .030" head gasket.

Like  the other post, depends on the details.  Did you CC the heads? Set deck height? Exhaust? Air filter?

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FXDBI

Like already said need more details, its not a good return from that cam in my opinion some thing isn't matching up in your recipe or the tune is off.  Go thru the dyno section and search 98 builds with S$S 585 and compare.  Bob

aharp

There are a lot of things that comprise the final dyno number. Gear, ambient and cylinder head temps, and, of course, tune. As has been stated, need way more info before anyone can make an inference.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

prodrag1320

Quote from: Retro on May 09, 2020, 10:36:09 AM
So I did a dyno run today. My 98" with S&S 585 CAMs did 80 hp and 98 ft lb. Does this sound decent? Also run thundermax ECU. Must admit I was hoping for a little more.

very low,with compression set at 10.5-1 to 10.7-1,even with stock heads,you should be 95/100+,even with our base street port headwork we`de expect to see 110/115 on our 98" kits

Retro

Stock heads, stock intake, S&S 98" kit with domed pistons, Supertrapp 2-1 16 discs and upgraded cam plate and oil pump. Also run Thundermax ECU. This on an -05 Heritage.

mayor

Was this just a dyno run (pulls for verification) or a full dyno tune?  Did you adjust any of the timing for peak power?  The Thundermax does not auto adjust timing.   Had you tuned the wide open throttle fuel offsets prior to visiting the dyno? 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

lucasg

Quote from: prodrag1320 on May 10, 2020, 05:15:14 AM
Quote from: Retro on May 09, 2020, 10:36:09 AM

very low,with compression set at 10.5-1 to 10.7-1,even with stock heads,you should be 95/100+,even with our base street port headwork we`de expect to see 110/115 on our 98" kits

Kirby nailed it.  A great cam, capable of making signifigant gains when complimenting the rest of the build.  Tune also an important part of the outcome, but like others have said many factorts play into the equation...

Retro

Thanks Mayor for answering. It was just a pull. Have had done pinging so I had to adjust for that.

mayor

If all you did was some dyno pulls, then there is likely more in your build.  Did your dyno guy check the afr through the dyno?  How smooth was the torgue line?  A wavy line is a good indication that the fuel or timing isn't right. 

Quote from: Retro on May 10, 2020, 08:21:08 AM
Have had done pinging so I had to adjust for that.
how did you adjust for it, by isolating the throttle position that the ping was happening in the problem rpm range or by reducing the overall timing chart?  It's been a long time since I played with the T-max, but I'm assuming it is still throttle position based. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

PoorUB

I agree, there should be more in it, but a good tune should bring it out.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!