April 20, 2024, 06:11:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil tank venting/vented dipstick experiences

Started by BTraci, May 07, 2020, 08:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BTraci

Wanted to pass-on my recent experiences with venting my oil tank (using an A1 Cycles/M3 vented dipstick, but applies to any of the various solutions for this).  Since going from a 95 to 117 in 2011, I've had chronic problems with excessive oil from the head breathers that I've struggled to address.  After long runs @ high rpm, I'd often lose 200ml of oil out the breathers in less than 50 miles of running.  I went to external breathers and eventually a catch can so I wouldn't soak the rear tire, and the catch can needed daily draining.  After high-rpm runs, the motor struggled to idle and would often stall if not kept at an elevated rpm.  I tore the top end down to ensure ring seal was good, and could never find a fix for this, just band-aids to contain the mess.  Having seen the videos by T-man and Mike Beland explaining how large motors create pressue in the motor, on a lark I ordered the vented dipstick (easiest and cheapest of the manufactured solutions, or can be home-fabbed, but each has their pros and cons).  Since installation, oil flow from the head breathers to the catch can even after extended high rpm running is minimal, the motor has no problems idling and no more symptoms of sumping, and has finally addressed 99% of the challenges I've had with this motor for almost a decade. 

I wanted to pass this on for others struggling with oil control with a bored/stroked motor--I was very skeptical that such a simple change would be so effective, but I've been pleasantly shocked with how effective this has been at fixing a systemic enduring problem.   Best bang-for-the-buck mod I've done to this bike.

chaos901

One question please, and I do believe you know the correct answer. 

When you put oil in your engine you do not fill it all the way to the full line do you? 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

BTraci

Admiral Akbar

What year and model?

Does the breather have a 1 way valve in it?

BTraci

03 Road King.  No one-way valve, just a K&N-type filter on the end. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: BTraci on May 07, 2020, 05:24:45 PM
03 Road King.  No one-way valve, just a K&N-type filter on the end.

Thanks.

jmorton10

What would be the pros/cons of drilling & tapping a hole in the filler neck, screwing in a hose nipple & using $.20 worth of hose & a $5 K&N filter (or whatever they cost now?)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

kd

John, IIRC Ray did that and included some pics in a thread.  It may have been someone else but I'm quite sure I saw it here.
KD

kouack

Or drill and tap about a 1 inch lower the filler neck, run a hose to the back like the kit zippers is selling!

road-dawgs1

May 08, 2020, 03:30:02 PM #9 Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:35:27 PM by road-dawgs1
 I vented my 19. Since it's a twin cooled, it doesn't have the oil return line as the oil cooled models do. That said, I took the dummy plug where the oil return line would go and bought pn# 62700146 which is the fitting for the oil return and ran a hose up under the right side cover and to a filter. It fits nicely next to the ABS module. I suppose I could have simply drilled the dummy plug, installed a barb fitting and ran a hose from that as well, but the H-D fitting was only $7.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

No Cents

May 08, 2020, 03:32:12 PM #10 Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:42:31 PM by No Cents
 I did vent mine
[attach=0,msg1346014]
it's routed up the frame and along the rear fender strut with a 1-way check valve in the middle...then more hose from the valve that connects to a small filter on the end of the hose that I mounted as low as I could in the rear.   
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

kd

Ray, is that just 3/8 hose?  What is that 90 degree fitting assembly from and where did you get it?  I don't really feel I have an issue even running hard over distance but I may get bored one day and if I had the fittings .... well you know.   :teeth:
KD

No Cents

yes...it is 3/8" hose. I bought the an fittings and the one way check valve all off E-Bay.
They are:
1) 1/8" NPT to 4 an straight pipe thread fitting. $4.75   
2) a 4an 90* swivel to 3/8" hose end fitting. $7.99
3) a one way barbed ended check valve. $5.08
4) 5 foot of 3/8" hose.
5) I already had the filter...but they can be had for around $5.00

road-dawgs1

Is a check valve necessary? I didn't use on in my setup.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

No Cents

I put the one way check valve in so no built up moisture could flow back to the oil tank. In theory it lets the vent hose only vent one way toward the filter on the end. I don't know if it was necessary...but I figured it couldn't hurt.   :nix:  I've been known to sometimes take things to the extremes.

PoorUB

I would use a check valve. You want air leaving the crankcase and oil tank, not coming back in. In theory the crankcase should run at a slight vacuum.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

No Cents

a look at the one way valve and where I mounted the filter. You can't see them unless the bag is off.

[attach=0]

Don D

Is any pressure going to come out the head breathers after this mod?

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

No Cents

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 09, 2020, 07:03:32 AM
Is any pressure going to come out the head breathers after this mod?

according to my catch can...it says yes.

Don D

What if you could do away with the head breathers and catch can? Just for the sake of discussion

Hossamania

Then it would puke out by the back wheel like the early Evos?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

You probably could block the head breathers as long as you make up the difference elsewhere.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

No Cents

I just like the idea of both the head breathers and the oil pan/crankcase having the ability to exhale.  :nix:  I don't want any addition pressure being built up. If I can relieve it in a safe way...I will.

hogpipes1