April 24, 2024, 11:37:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mik. 45 Float Bowl vent.

Started by Will-Run, May 08, 2020, 06:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will-Run

I've been running these things for years with out a thought about it. The subject came up as to whether this vent ,
  should be run open or have some sort of filter on it. I scoured through all my Mikuni stuff and can't find any reference
  to it. Does anyone here know about this?. " Turbo Prop " perhaps?.  Thanks much.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

mkd

the mikuni 42 i run on my evo had the vent tube that just ran down along the pushrod tube and vented open to the ground .that's the way the dealer did it back when it was new.

Will-Run

I was referring to the float bowl vent , not the over flow tube. Thanks.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

turboprop

Quote from: Will-Run on May 08, 2020, 06:47:59 AM
I've been running these things for years with out a thought about it. The subject came up as to whether this vent ,
  should be run open or have some sort of filter on it. I scoured through all my Mikuni stuff and can't find any reference
  to it. Does anyone here know about this?. " Turbo Prop " perhaps?.  Thanks much.

Just so we are taking apples to apples, the vent on a Mikuni HSR carb (all sizes), is a short brass stub on the left side of the carb, that points directly down.  The nipple on the float bowl that typically has a piece of house connected to it and routed down to the ground is not the vent, it is the overflow outlet.

The vent outlet on the Mik HSR does not need any sort of hose or filter attached to it. Just leave it alone. Pretend it is not there. Nothing to see, move along.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Will-Run

We are for sure talking apples to apples. The brass stub  "vent" is what I was referring to.  Thank you.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

Racepres

Quote from: mkd on May 08, 2020, 01:31:31 PM
the mikuni 42 i run on my evo had the vent tube that just ran down along the pushrod tube and vented open to the ground .that's the way the dealer did it back when it was new.
Terminology is Critical in such discussions!!
But, I preach "terminology" alot...

RTMike