May 09, 2024, 07:23:18 AM

News:

Crane Pushrods

Started by Grayrider, May 30, 2009, 08:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grayrider

I am looking at a set of Crane Adjustable Pushrods on Ebay. Actuallt a few sets. I asked the sellers if they can be installed without removing the rockers.
One seller says yes you can, the other says no you need to remove them!
Anyone know for sure?  I expect that goes for the Andrews as well!
An Indy I spoke with says any adjustable can be installed without removing the rockers as they usually have about 2 .0" of adjustment!
Anyone done this?
What is the length of a stock Harley lifter?
Thanks.[97' Heritage stock EVO.]
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

Dan89flstc

May 30, 2009, 11:23:05 AM #1 Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:25:45 AM by Dan89flstc
Some adjustable push rods can be installed with the rockers in place, some can not. Some manufacturers make both types.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

gryphon

As Dan89flstc says, there are some that you do and some you don't. Check ebay item 400050684801 these are the time saver rods and you don't have to remove your rockers to install them. Generaly, if it doesn't say something like EZ install or time saver etc then plan on pulling your rockers. I'm surprised by your indy's answer.

Grayrider

Yes I have seen the EZ and the time savers.
If a pushrod has 2.0" of adjustment, is that enough to get them in and adjust them?
What is the length of a stock lifter? 

gryphon

Not sure why you need the lifter length but, I come up with 2.993 I could not remove the adjustable pushrods from my bike and had to cut them. If your indy is so certain they will work then have him buy them. If they don't fit then he's the one whose out the cost. I was able to remove the adjustable pushrods from my Shovels but not on my EVO.

Grayrider

So, if the lifter is almost 3.0 inches long, how much adjustment would the rod need in order to allow installation through the pushrod covers? If I cut the old rods out, is 2.0" adjustment enough to allow installation?
I have not been in there, but thinking of changing lifters and pushrods due to a ticking I believe is a lifter! Just not sure how much adjustment is needed to install without removing the rockers!

Norton Commando

My Crane pushrods can be installed and removed without disassembling the rocker boxes and they have about 2 inches of useable adjustment. The pushrods are actually two pieces and the smaller male rod will unscrew about 2.5" from the female rod.  The length of the lifter doesn't have squat to do with whether or not the lifters can be removed without removing rocker boxes.  If you remove your old pushrods by cutting them, you'll be able to remove the lifters without touching the rocker boxes.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.