April 18, 2024, 10:56:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam change and TDC

Started by nmainehunter, May 08, 2020, 08:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmainehunter

I'm getting ready to change my cam and got to thinking about where is the TDC mark when everything is all lined up. I've never looked.

thumper 823

What cam are you installing?
Do you have stock springs and guides?
Are you going to degree  the cam or just indexing the 3 marks?
Has the inner bng been changed?
Do you think you need the book now>?
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

JW113

TDC has nothing to do with the cam. The cam gear has two marks, one for the pinion gear and one for the breather gear. Get a shop manual, it's well illustrated.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ohio HD

Quote from: nmainehunter on May 08, 2020, 08:07:10 AM
I'm getting ready to change my cam and got to thinking about where is the TDC mark when everything is all lined up. I've never looked.

If it's a bolt in cam, and you have stock push rods.

Take rocker covers off, rotate the motor till both valves on the front cylinder are closed. Loosen the rocker assembly, then remove it. Do the same to the rear.

If adjustable push rods, well, loosen them.

If replacing stock push rods with adjustable, rotate motor till front cylinder push rods and lifters are all the way down. Cut push rods with a large set of bolt cutters. Do the same for the rear.

Remove push rods. Remove lifters and inspect the rollers and bearings.

Pull the cam cover off, slowly rotate till all three timing marks align. Ease the cam and breather gear out.

Replace the inner cam bearing.

Assuming to look for wear and problems all the way through the service.

Check cam shaft end play. Set around 0.015" +/- 0.005".

Reverse for installation. 

If it's not a bolt in cam, well. lots more info is needed.

[attach=0]

nmainehunter

I'm just curious as to the location of TDC when things are lined up. I have done many cam changes, I just never looked. And yes,I have changed the bearing, I don't degree it cause I simply don't need to split hairs for the way I ride. I will press the gear off the 46 and put it on the 27. The gear came off the stock cam. I have S&S pushrods so it will be an easy swap. I'm going to do this today so I'll have to look.