May 01, 2024, 09:42:03 AM

News:

Evo EFI engine in a '95 Softail?

Started by codyshop, April 30, 2020, 08:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

Is there any reason why an EFI evo motor taken from a wrecked FLHTC wouldn't work in a '95 Fatboy that needs a donor?   Is there more to than just replacing the intake and ignition?    I know the   cranks are different and took a different stator & rotor setup but don't see why you can't just run the '89-'99 charging system.    Thanks

turboprop

Quote from: codyshop on April 30, 2020, 08:11:11 PM
Is there any reason why an EFI evo motor taken from a wrecked FLHTC wouldn't work in a '95 Fatboy that needs a donor?  No  Is there more to than just replacing the intake and ignition?  No  I know the   cranks are different and took a different stator & rotor setup but don't see why you can't just run the '89-'99 charging system.  S&S has an off the shelf sensor block off plate. Bolt that Evo in and go.   Thanks

See remarks in red.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

IMO the MM is better left in the Junk Box.

You will beed a Wiring Harness - Namtz makes them

The 45 AMP System was necessary because of the added accessories.

The Stock EFI Intake works

The most difficult part is adjusting the Throttle Body TPS - VERY picky and sensative.

I may have everything but an ECM collecting Dist. I will let you know what I find - Just Shipping.

Tom

Hossamania

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on May 01, 2020, 05:25:48 AM
IMO the MM is better left in the Junk Box.

You will beed a Wiring Harness - Namtz makes them

The 45 AMP System was necessary because of the added accessories.

The Stock EFI Intake works

The most difficult part is adjusting the Throttle Body TPS - VERY picky and sensative.

I may have everything but an ECM collecting Dist. I will let you know what I find - Just Shipping.

Cody mentioned a new intake and new ignition, I'm assuming a carb conversion.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rigidthumper

Should be able to use the ignition sending unit/coil/intake/AC/carb/pipes from the Fatboy on the dresser engine, all in the softail frame...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

turboprop

Is there any reason why an EFI evo motor taken from a wrecked FLHTC wouldn't work in a '95 Fatboy that needs a donor?   Is there more to than just replacing the intake and ignition?    I know the   cranks are different and took a different stator & rotor setup but don't see why you can't just run the '89-'99 charging system.    Thanks

Lots of irrelevancies being shared int he this thread. If you are simply going to take a long block evo from an injected evo bagger, then you can really just ignore most of what everyone else has posted. That injected evo is a direct plug and play swap for the non injected evo that was or is in the bike. Everything that was used with the non injected engine will transfer over to the injected engine. It really is that simple.

codyshop

Quote from: turboprop on May 01, 2020, 08:00:40 AM

Lots of irrelevancies being shared int he this thread. If you are simply going to take a long block evo from an injected evo bagger, then you can really just ignore most of what everyone else has posted. That injected evo is a direct plug and play swap for the non injected evo that was or is in the bike. Everything that was used with the non injected engine will transfer over to the injected engine. It really is that simple.
Thanks, but the motor sprocket shafts, stator, rotor, spacer, etc. are different.   I'm concerned about primary chain alignment and whether the rotor will fit inside a softail inner primary.   Thanks.

turboprop

Quote from: codyshop on May 01, 2020, 10:56:20 PM
Quote from: turboprop on May 01, 2020, 08:00:40 AM

Thanks, but the motor sprocket shafts, stator, rotor, spacer, etc. are different.   I'm concerned about primary chain alignment and whether the rotor will fit inside a softail inner primary.   Thanks.

No need to be concerned about any of that stuff.

The stuff from the injected bike will probably fit but plan to use your existing rotor, stator, spacers, etc from the carb'd bike. The only thing different about injected long block is the engine case has a hole for the crank sensor and one of the flywheels has notches for said sensor. Plates to block off the hole for the sensor are available off the shelf. This is a non issue.

One more time so that you are clear. The injected long block is a direct plug and play and will swap with your existing carb long block. Transfer all of the existing minutia from the existing engine to the long block from the injected donor bike. By long block I mean the engine case, everything inside of it, the cylinders, heads, rocker boxes and everything inside of them. The complete long block will swap right in. Use everything associated with your existing primary drive system, ignition system, carb system, exhaust system and charging system. They will all transfer over to the injected long block.

Chain alignment must be checked and adjusted whenever there is a change to the components that affect alignment, i.e: engine sprocket, clutch basket, anything that would affect the transmission main shaft position and anything that would affect the crankshaft position. In your case, everything will remain the same with the exception of the crankshaft position. The alignment with the new engine will be very close, if not the same as with the existing engine. If the alignment requires adjustment it will be measured in thousandths of an inch. The shims to adjust the front engine sprocket are standard items from Harley.