April 19, 2024, 10:53:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE super tuner

Started by larry gaddie, May 09, 2020, 12:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry gaddie

'15 Limited with HD SE race tuner

can the gear ratio numbers be changed in the ECM...going from 34 tooth to a 32 ?

thanks

les

No.  What I'm going to do to fix my gear ratio problem because I installed a Grudge Box and now my cruise control does not work is to take it to a shop where they have a Power Vision.  They will suck down my map, adjust the ratio table, then send the map back up.  PV says it won't change any of my other map tuning.

Before I leave the shop I will be performing an experiment where I'll load my SE map from my laptop to see if the load leaves the ratio table alone.

Scotty

May 09, 2020, 07:26:05 PM #2 Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:07:24 AM by Scotty
Quote from: les on May 09, 2020, 05:45:13 PM
No.  What I'm going to do to fix my gear ratio problem because I installed a Grudge Box and now my cruise control does not work is to take it to a shop where they have a Power Vision.  They will suck down my map, adjust the ratio table, then send the map back up.  PV says it won't change any of my other map tuning.

Before I leave the shop I will be performing an experiment where I'll load my SE map from my laptop to see if the load leaves the ratio table alone.

How much are they charging you to do that? They would have to use up a tune license to do it or rather you will be paying for a tune license to access your ECM with a PV.
Make sure you get a copy of your tune license from them and if you find a used PV you can use it on that. The tune license is locked to the bike not the unit.

aharp

Curious what numbers you end up with and the final outcome.

I did a grudge box last year and tried several settings and have gotten closer to things working as designed but still not there yet.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

les

Quote from: Scotty on May 09, 2020, 07:26:05 PM

How much are they charging you to do that? They would have to use up a tune license to do it or rather you will be paying for a tune license to access your ECM with a PV.
Make sure you get a copy of your tune license from them and if you find a used PV you can use it on that. The tune license is locked to the bike not the unit.

I don't know how much they will charge.  I live in NE Ohio and have not yet had a chance to make hour ride out there.  I've only discussed it with the service manager of the indy shop.

In terms of licensing, I would expect they have an unlimited licensing subscription to PV.  Thanks for the tip on getting the license number and I'll talk to them about that.  I will post a follow up on the cost, but it might take a while.  There was one day I could have rode out, but they were booked.

les

Quote from: aharp on May 10, 2020, 02:40:05 AM

Curious what numbers you end up with and the final outcome.

I did a grudge box last year and tried several settings and have gotten closer to things working as designed but still not there yet.

I've emailed this Excel calculator tool to indy shop, which I got somewhere here on HTT.  The service manager was appreciative because he's always calculated the ratios by hand.  I'd be very curious if you use it, how well it works.

Ohio HD

It's from Joe Lyons. He uses it when tuning.

les

This is how I believe the tool works:

1. Pick the appropriate table.
2. Enter the gear ratios of your transmissions.
3. Pull down your current map from the bike into the PV.
4. Enter (hand type) what's in your bike's ratio map into the yellow column.
5. Enter the auto-calculated green column values into your PV map.
6. Upload into the bike.

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 10, 2020, 08:34:55 AM
It's from Joe Lyons. He uses it when tuning.

Thanks Ohio.  Sorry Joe for forgetting who to attribute to.

les

One thing I have not found anyone do on this site (yet) is to reload their SE map after the gear ratios have been set by the PV, to see if it leaves those corrected gear ratios alone.

Jamie Long

Quote from: les on May 10, 2020, 08:40:50 AM
One thing I have not found anyone do on this site (yet) is to reload their SE map after the gear ratios have been set by the PV, to see if it leaves those corrected gear ratios alone.

If you mean load your SE map it will have the original values, as you can only load the tune from either the VCI or your computer, not a copy of the tune thats in the ECM. You would need a Power Vision to do that.

les

Quote from: Jamie Long on May 10, 2020, 08:44:24 PM
Quote from: les on May 10, 2020, 08:40:50 AM

If you mean load your SE map it will have the original values, as you can only load the tune from either the VCI or your computer, not a copy of the tune thats in the ECM. You would need a Power Vision to do that.

My hopeful goal is that after I get my gear ratios are set via the PV so my cruise control will work again, I can continue to be able to use my SE tuner to make adjustments, if I wish.  So, this is the plan:

1. Take my bike to the indy shop so they can copy my current map from the bike using a PV.
2. Use the PV to adjust only my gear ratios table and upload to the bike.
3. Verify that the cruise control works.
4. Use my orange SE module to reload my map from file back up to my bike.
5. Test to see if the cruise control still works (my gear ratios from the PV load untouched?).

Jamie Long

Quote from: les on May 11, 2020, 04:42:20 AM

My hopeful goal is that after I get my gear ratios are set via the PV so my cruise control will work again, I can continue to be able to use my SE tuner to make adjustments, if I wish.  So, this is the plan:

1. Take my bike to the indy shop so they can copy my current map from the bike using a PV.
5. Test to see if the cruise control still works (my gear ratios from the PV load untouched?).

As noted above that will not work. If you are going to "Use my orange SE module to reload my map from file back up to my bike." You will be doing just that, loading your SE map.

Ohio HD

Jamie, is the way this can happen, is to buy a PV and then make the changes needed in ratios, and reload the MAP as a PV?

I would think it's a step forward for later down the road having the PV over the SE tuner.

Coyote

Yeah, you can do that. But he'd need to switch to a PV for tuning.

rigidthumper

He will have to purchase a tune license to flash with the PV, right? So at that point, as long as he has his tune license, all he has to do is borrow someones PV, yes?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Coyote

Sure, if he has one available.

les

Quote from: Jamie Long on May 11, 2020, 07:46:23 AM
Quote from: les on May 11, 2020, 04:42:20 AM

As noted above that will not work. If you are going to "Use my orange SE module to reload my map from file back up to my bike." You will be doing just that, loading your SE map.

So, what you're saying is that even though my SE orange module does not have a gear ratio table, somehow it will overwrite the gear ratio table in the bike?

This is what I intend to verify whether it does or not.  As mentioned, no one on this site has performed that exact test.

Coyote

The gear table is in the map, you just can't see it with the SE Tuner.

les

Quote from: Coyote on May 11, 2020, 08:27:35 AM
The gear table is in the map, you just can't see it with the SE Tuner.

Just curious, how do you know this if you can't see it?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're wrong.  Rather, I just would like to know how you found this out.

Ohio HD

Different SE MAPS would require different gearing depending on the bike and year. It's really doubtful the ratios are hard coded. They would have used a table.

remington007

A SE tuner map can be pulled out with a PV and the extra tables are there to see, so yes the gear table is in the map. Also there is a whole extra level of map tables the consumer cannot see with a PV.

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 11, 2020, 09:17:01 AM
Different SE MAPS would require different gearing depending on the bike and year. It's really doubtful the ratios are hard coded. They would have used a table.

Agreed that the gear ratios use a table.  That is in fact how those ratios are changed via a PV.  I'll post back the results of my experiment.  It's been impossible to get to the indy to complete this experiment which is based on the following hypothesis.

1. The SE orange module does not have the gear ratio map because it's not visible.
2. The SE tuning software is intelligent enough to mark tables that have changed and only load them.
3. All tables are loaded at the factory with administrative superuser software, but accessory SE tuning software has limited access.

Again, I plan to perform this experiment before I leave the indy shop so they can quickly reload my PV gear ratio map while I'm still there.

les

Quote from: remington007 on May 11, 2020, 09:27:40 AM
A SE tuner map can be pulled out with a PV and the extra tables are there to see, so yes the gear table is in the map. Also there is a whole extra level of map tables the consumer cannot see with a PV.

Yes, and is why the indy and I are going the PV route to fix my cruise control problem.  I don't want to loose my current engine tune.  I just want to "tune" my tranny.  I won't be buying, unless forced to, a PV module by leveraging the indy's unlimited PV licensing agreement.

I just need to verify if this tranny tune renders my SE tuner into a hockey puck. 

Coyote

Quote from: les on May 11, 2020, 09:32:35 AM

I just need to verify if this tranny tune renders my SE tuner into a hockey puck.

No but it you load any other map from the SE tuner you will loose your gearing tables again.