March 29, 2024, 02:08:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starting after 8 months... oil has gone!

Started by 1340evo, May 10, 2020, 03:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

The biggest problem I had was that you absolutely cannot see it, it's all blind. Last time I did this, after trying for quite some time (as in, two or three stiff cocktails), I used the ever so lightest coat of Permatex #2 on the back side of the key, rocked it slightly downwards as you suggested, then fiddled around until I could feel it find the keyway.

So, got any good tips how to easily get that damn outside retaining ring off and on? Why oh why did they not use a regular snap ring like what is on the inside drive gear??? I run into stuff like this and it makes me think they do this intentionally to discourage people from working on their own bike.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

cheech

Well JW, it'll get a little better once you have the Harbor Freight lift. Still a pain, but way better when it's not 8 inches off the ground.  :SM:

PoorUB

A drop of super glue on the key does wonders! Glue the key into the slot.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

JW113

Not sure that I'd want the key glued solid in the slot. If the front edge is too low, the gear won't go all the way on. If it's too high, you'll never get the key to go in the slot. I'm thinking you want to hold it in with something that will allow it to move after you get the gear started on, yet stay in the slot.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

bobrk1

My ironhead  and  shovel did  it, I  ran head breather on hose to  the  ground  to  breathe  like  the  shovel .  I  would  put  a pan  under  them  when  I  started  them in spring  to catch  oil,top off if low wouldn't  do it  after  1st  start ,  Evo  never  had  the  problem .