April 24, 2024, 06:34:50 PM

News:

Oil Tank Vent

Started by HDDOC, May 10, 2020, 03:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDDOC

What is the opinion on using an Oil Tank Vent to help the M-8 breather better, needed or not and ant benefits to using it?
2019 Tri Glide

road-dawgs1

I vented my 19. There's a thread going in the general section. I have a twin cooled so venting it using the port where the oil cooled models have a return line is simple to do. I took out the dummy plug and installed the fitting that the hose attaches to on the oil cooled models. One could also simply drill the dummy plug and install a barbed fitting. Either way, simple and inexpensive to do. Of course, the above method only works on twin cooled models. One would have to do it another way on oil cooled models.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

moose

what is the best available catch can to vent to instead of the feed into the intake and able to mount neetly to a 2020 ultra limited

tia
Moose aka Glenn-

road-dawgs1

Quote from: moose on May 10, 2020, 05:55:09 AM
what is the best available catch can to vent to instead of the feed into the intake and able to mount neetly to a 2020 ultra limited

tia

For the head breathers, there are many aftermarket catch cans available based upon your taste. I have the SE backplate and routed hose to keep it out of the intake as well. However, I didn't use a catch can.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

HDDOC

I was talking about the oil cap breather that goes in place of the dip stick , has a hose on it with a filter oil the end of it that is place on top of the throttle body. I was asking to see if this breather would benefit or defeat  the head breathers that are on the M-8 engines, My 2019 Tri glide barely feel anything coming out the stock breathers no pulse  as I have seen on older Twin Cams.  I have to wonder if the M-8 are designed that way on purpose or are mine not working well ?   Thanks Doc        Fueling has a kit also A-1 for the dipstick.
2019 Tri Glide

Hillside Motorcycle

We have dyno tested them.
On some bikes, up to 1 1/2 hp gain.
Sold another one Saturday morning, at the retail counter.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

HDDOC

So you would say it is a plus to have one on a stock M-8 along with the head breathers vented to ground or catch can ?  I assume my M-8 has very little blow by as very little air is coming out the head breathers.  I have seen videos that show 1= lbs at the breathers but mine would not have that. Thanks Doc
2019 Tri Glide

HDDOC

I still would like an answer as to the Oil Tank Vent, Needed or Not ?    Thanks doc
2019 Tri Glide

wnogood

Quote from: HDDOC on May 12, 2020, 04:34:12 AM
I still would like an answer as to the Oil Tank Vent, Needed or Not ?    Thanks doc

From what I've been seeing on multiple forums, "Needed"? on some bikes, but it seems every M8 could benefit from it. It's on my list of upgrades for my 2020 SGS.
2020 SGS 122" stonewashed white pearl

HDDOC

Quote from: wnogood on May 12, 2020, 11:06:52 AM
Quote from: HDDOC on May 12, 2020, 04:34:12 AM

From what I've been seeing on multiple forums, "Needed"? on some bikes, but it seems every M8 could benefit from it. It's on my list of upgrades for my 2020 SGS.

Thanks for the replies, I have seen a bunch of treads and looked at videos and have come to the conclusion that as you state it is not needed on many bikes. It appeared to solve oil puking into the intake as some bikes puke oil even running oil low in the tank, I do not have one of them engines, I have external breathers and puke no oil. I have a A-1 Ventilator and have tried it and it does work as it breathes great but I believe it is not needed on my bike .   Doc
2019 Tri Glide

Hillside Motorcycle

Mad Monkey Motorsports manufacture's them.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

There's a couple other company's manufacture's them. I don't know who was first. I think T Man has the cleanness set up. You don't have the hose on the stick to screw with, but each to they own. 

Rokinrider

:wtf:A-1 cycles has a nice billet vented cap kit for a very reasonable price. Mine is supposed to be here today. After I did the RS 468 and oil pump upgrade, I noticed the cap was seeping some, I was flogging the bike. The guy at A-1 has a good video on the vented cap also.
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?