March 28, 2024, 07:32:46 PM

News:

Starter ring gear

Started by evofatboy, May 10, 2020, 09:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evofatboy

While my 93 Evo was down, I decided to replace my starter ring gear. I purchased A Bikers Choice 66t ring gear part #148138 which is clearly marked on the package. It is supposed to fit 1990-93 clutch shell. I removed old ring and went to put on the new and the ID if the new rings is larger than the OD on the clutch shell where the ring is supposed to sit. I measured the ID if the old ring and got 6.447. The ID of the new ring is 6.620 (6-5/8). I contacted the seller and he stated he had a couple more rings and would check the size. He got back to me at stated the rest of the rings he had were also 6-5/8. Does this sound typical of replacement ring gears? It seems to me that with the ring being a loose fit on the shell that the only support would be the 6 bolts that attach the gear to the shell. Would the six bolts have enough strength to not shear off. I am running a high compression 113 and I don' want to worry about shearing the bolts. I would appreciate any suggestions. thanks

motorhogman

I don't think it's typical.. Maybe your clutch shell is not original...? Or maybe his stuff is all labeled wrong.  Like Accell High performance spark plug wires that they claim work on 99 and up touring bikes.. They don't,  the ohms are all wrong...

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

kd

May 10, 2020, 02:31:39 PM #2 Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:05:09 PM by kd
Many early 90's clutch assemblies have been updated to the 98 up version.  I don't have one handy to measure but if changed previously you may have that version.  Maybe someone will offer up the pre and post 98 sizes.
KD

turboprop

Quote from: kd on May 10, 2020, 02:31:39 PM
Many early 90's clutch assemblies have been updated to the 98 up version.  I don't have on handy to measure but if changed previously you may have that version.  Maybe someone will offer up the pre and post 98 sizes.

Or maybe the OP could post a picture of his clutch basket. Would much easier to identify with a picture than with measurements.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.