TC 88 2000 / Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner / Conversion Chain Drive / Cams

Started by wsrost, May 11, 2020, 08:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsrost

Hi, i need your help!
My bike: Softail Bobber TC 88 2000 Carburetor version with Mikuni HSR 42, Ness Big Sucker Stage I, Penzl Valve exhaust. Mileage:45.000
I`m thinking about upgrading to a hydraulic cam chain tensioner and new oil pump. Options: SE Plate and Pump, S&S TC3 Plate and Pump, Feuling HP+ or Zippers Blueprinted Cam Plate. Could you tell me about your experiences, which works best? or changing directly to Gear Drive (I know Pinion Shaft Run Out has to be <.005).

Furthermore I want to pick another cam. My typical Cruising Speed is about 75 MPH, my aim is to have strong low and mid range power (1750-4500 RPM). I read a lot of articles and found out, that we need the following
Criteria: -Overlap: <30   - Lift: <0.580"  - Duration: 220-250°  ABDC: 35-45°.  Using Bigboyzcycles Cam Comparator I found out:
For the Stock engine with 88ci: Feuling Reaper 525 and Redshift 511 works best. What are your experiences with these cams?
As a whole in one package the Feuling HP+ Camchest Kits including 525 Reaper, Lifters, Pushrods etc. seems to be interesting for me. Has anyone experience in these Kits?
I want to keep the stock heads, but thinking about a Big Bore Kit 95"/96"/97" and even 100". If I do so, what cam would work with these kits best (Early Torque/Mid Range), what combinations do you prefer?
Thank you for your help in finding out a good working package!

PoorUB

No need to get crazy. Just the OEM plate and pump from Harley are more than sufficient.
Cams? You will be limited to conversion cams, or machining  the inner bearing journals  on '07+ cams.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Trev T

Have done several cam plate upgrades on 99-06 T/C. use an 07 up plate assembly with andrews 21N/26N cams and go. I usually upgrade the tensioner pads and oil pressure relief spring with the zippers units. You can go with all the high dollar pieces and get the same results. With the $ you save put a set of 95/98 pistons/cylinder on and go 37H Andrews.

rking1550

And keeping stock heads, pretty sure you'll be limited to .510 max lift.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

PC_Hater

Fit the gear drive cams, put the cam cover on and never ever go in there again!
That works for me.
I have the Andrews 21G fitted in my 1999 TC88 FLTR with Mikuni HSR42 carb. Very pleased with the results. Cruises happily on the Autobahn at 140 to 150kph.
With 45,000 miles on the the motor you may as well go to 95 inches now.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

zn14

I agree with PC_
measure crank runout and if good go gears and never look at it again.
I went andrews 26g on a carb FLHR.
Runs great.

Hossamania

I will say that having gear drive for the last 15 years and 90,000 miles has been great.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

04rkryder

"I know Pinion Shaft Run Out has to be <.005)." Actually that should be <.003. Since your bike is a 2000, I believe it still had a good crank. Measure it and go gear drive as suggested. I've had gear drive cams for the last 83k and never think about them.

FSG

my 03 Fatty has gear drive .....  never any problem .....

BUT with the Hyd Tensioners available these days (since 07) I'd not bother with gears unless your going to go the whole hog

fit the later camplate, better pump, hyd tensioners, conversion cams and ride on

CndUltra88

roadcling has a pretty fast bike.
SE 204 cams 97''bore some head work a tuning device that I can not recall and a Thunder Header and it runs fast.
Steve can correct me if I am wrong on his cam and piston choice, but I am sure you can find him in the tuning section.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

ahern25

I just finished a S&S tc3 cam plate with oil pump install.   Andrew's 26g cams.  Modest power but you can feel it.  Don't have to worry about tensioners any more.

Carl 1969

I've got the Redshift 511s in my '02 88" FXD & like them a lot. I just replaced the stock tensioner shoes with Cyco units, but the came is available in gear drive.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired