April 16, 2024, 12:47:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE 117 Cylinders

Started by D-1, May 13, 2020, 02:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-1

Could the SE 117 drop on cylinders used on CVO 110 engines be used with a 4 5/8" stroke to make 124cubes? The cylinders have been run already, but would Line to Line coating on a CP BHM124FT piston give enough to hone the cylinders a bit to get everything straight and correct clearance? Did similar on a 110 drop on kit with KB pistons and new cylinders. Had to take 0.0015" out for the new pistons with coating, but those cylinders were new.

I would like to used unfinished 124 cylinders with CP pistons and have them honed to suit, but no one stocks them down under so freight and exchange rate make it very expensive. If the 117 cylinders would work, even if i had to buy new, i could save on machining the cases too.

Good idea or not??

Ohio HD

The cylinders are OEM height?

A 124" piston with a 1.050" compression height piston would stick out of the cylinder by quite a bit, maybe 0.065"  with a 4-5/8" stroke. As well I doubt there's enough cylinder length inside the case to support the piston at a 4-5/8" stroke.

Don D

May 13, 2020, 07:28:16 AM #2 Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:37:40 AM by HD Street Performance
Using a 120r crank or S&S with shorter rods the .035 is manageable. The piston skirts need a little trim, ok with the mahle piston and kb, the gauge point is higher

Ohio HD

Do 117" drop on cylinders have the same cylinder flange depth as 120r cylinders?

Moving the cylinder upward 0.035" removes 0.035" from the lower side as well.

Don D

1" vs 1.625, shorter. That is not burning, forgot about that, good point
I have done a lot of this juggling but with S&S cylinders

Don D

To the OP, no those cylinders won't work properly.  The pistons gauge point and skirt will not be supported with that short spigot.

D-1

I knew it would not be that easy.

CarlosGGodfrog

On my 117, I had Darkhorse do their magic on a brand new SE crank, trued, welded, and balanced. Then had S&S cyl cut down to stock length. Mahle pistons, and wound up with 10.2 compression. Work was done by Suburban.

Don D

The KB LCA heavy duty pistons are perfect for this application. Small changes are needed to get them to work but they are a very nice quiet running long lasting option.

D-1

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 14, 2020, 11:07:45 AM
The KB LCA heavy duty pistons are perfect for this application. Small changes are needed to get them to work but they are a very nice quiet running long lasting option.

Ive just been looking at a set of KB662LCA for a drop-on 117 kit for a 110 Fatboy S. There should be a little bit of honing required to fit them to new cylinders.

Don D

From their instructions.
Special note on STANDARD size pistons: .001" less clearance is built into the piston to allow honing of a good STANDARD bore cyl.
New cylinders must be checked for proper wall clearance and may require slight honing.

The piston measurement at the gauge point is etched in the piston so the proper clearance can be achieved. It is not easy to hone a steel cylinder liner that is ~.040 thick on each side, the spigot.

D-1

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 14, 2020, 06:28:32 PM
From their instructions.
Special note on STANDARD size pistons: .001" less clearance is built into the piston to allow honing of a good STANDARD bore cyl.
New cylinders must be checked for proper wall clearance and may require slight honing.

The piston measurement at the gauge point is etched in the piston so the proper clearance can be achieved. It is not easy to hone a steel cylinder liner that is ~.040 thick on each side, the spigot.

Does it work?? Do the 110 drop on cylinders have a thicker skirt? I think you pointed me in the direction of honing a set of 110 cyl for KB pistons on an engine with CVO style heads, worked out great. I was thinking the same with a 117 cylinder.

Don D

No, the 117" cylinders have ~.028" skirt thickness,  touch, hurts just writing it.

D-1

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 21, 2020, 09:03:25 AM
No, the 117" cylinders have ~.028" skirt thickness,  touch, hurts just writing it.

Thanks