April 18, 2024, 08:41:29 PM

News:

Electrical issue?

Started by Scootrskum, May 14, 2020, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheech

Ok was checking.
But remember those cheat sheets I sent you. It was to much to type.
Go the other way.
Have the DVOM positve on the battery positive, DVOM negative lead on the 86 and check the 30 while you're at it.
That will give you your actual voltage drop under load.
Regardless 7 volts at the 86 isn't a good situation nor the wire getting hot.
There isn't much of a load there.

And the V twin MFG? Most of that stuff is not worth your time. So I'd expect the wire harnesses are on par with that. But I don't know I never used one.

Scootrskum

I will attemp that but I actually have a spare relay and it does the same thing. Still possible though.

Thanks

cheech

Quote from: Scootrskum on May 20, 2020, 06:23:37 PM
I will attemp that but I actually have a spare relay and it does the same thing. Still possible though.

Thanks
The 7 volt situation probably isn't caused by the relay. There is something funky, an issue going on in the wiring. To it? Maybe to Ignition switch?

Hossamania

Probably not related to your issues, but I have taken my dash ignition switch apart a couple times over the years to clean it up. The contacts get pretty corroded. I couldn't remember if you had mentioned it in this thread or not, and I didn't re-read all of it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Dan89flstc

May 21, 2020, 06:25:27 AM #29 Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:44:11 AM by Dan89flstc
The low voltage at the relay is caused by either low voltage in the system, or excess resistance upstream...The relay has nothing to do with low voltage at the Red/Black wire.

Work back toward the power source:

Pull the connector apart for the right hand switches, clean the pins, and make sure no pins are pushed out of the connector.

After you clean the pins and re connect the connector, read the voltage at the gray wire, both sides of the connector.

With start button pushed, read voltage at the Red/Black wire in the connector, also read the voltage on the black wire on the other side of the connector.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic