April 19, 2024, 01:10:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Con rod assemblies

Started by Roadwhimp, May 16, 2020, 06:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadwhimp

Still working on this '66 Shovel.  The more I look the worse it gets.  Found one of the connecting rods cracked on the pin race.  Anybody had luck with the Dixie/Superior brand.  Web says they are made in Japan better than the V twin stuff.  Prices are mild to wild.  Who do you trust?  I see S&S makes a heavy duty set but seems a little over kill for stock motor, plus I think it would be harder to balance. 

Reddog74usa

My 68 has the S&S 88 inch set up and is balanced. Sweetest runnin shovel I ever had. When it comes to engine components go with the best you can find. Yep it cost at first but the payoff is peace of mind and not having to go back over the build way sooner than needed. I have heard good about the dixie stuff and have an engine builder bud that uses their pistons all the time with no issues. S&S has had some quality control issues lately so it's a damn crap shoot. For me the decision was easy as the cylinders and bottom end were already there when I bought the basket case so I had them rebuilt. The Dixie stuff I believe would be good for your stock build especially with the QC issues S&S seems to be having and whatever you do I would stay away from anything V-Twin or china stuff as it is just a huge waste of time money and material.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Roadwhimp

Thanks for the info.  I hadn't heard about S&S having QC issues.  Always learn something on this forum. 

turboprop

Quote from: Roadwhimp on May 16, 2020, 06:40:14 AM
Still working on this '66 Shovel.  The more I look the worse it gets.  Found one of the connecting rods cracked on the pin race.  Anybody had luck with the Dixie/Superior brand.  Web says they are made in Japan better than the V twin stuff.  Prices are mild to wild.  Who do you trust?  I see S&S makes a heavy duty set but seems a little over kill for stock motor, plus I think it would be harder to balance.

Unless they weigh like a bazillion pounds, slightly heavier connecting rods will not make balancing a harley crankshaft any harder. The process is the same, weigh everything, do the math, either drill or add heavy metal. The guys with balance jigs will not have any issues balancing those shovel wheels regardless of how much any of the components weigh.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.