April 24, 2024, 10:28:27 PM

News:

Tuning RDRS

Started by jrhd_1775, May 17, 2020, 10:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrhd_1775

Who is tuning them and what is needed to get it done?

Hossamania

I've got to ask, what is RDRS?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

Thanks for the info. I didn't know all that was now available.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

aharp

I've heard of it but havent seen the video or what it was about. This is adjustable for rider preference?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

cheech

Quote from: aharp on May 18, 2020, 05:38:36 AM
I've heard of it but havent seen the video or what it was about. This is adjustable for rider preference?
It's pretty much an electronic stability control, traction control, hold the bike on a hill, TPMS, and whatnot else.
Are the parameters consumer adjustable for it? 
I'd doubt it.
As far as Engine tuning? Jamie answered a question regarding it in this section. So he must be doing them.
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,112277.0.html
Maybe he can chime in.

Jamie Long

Quote from: jrhd_1775 on May 17, 2020, 10:27:21 AM
Who is tuning them and what is needed to get it done?

We have full RDRS tune support with Power Vision. A short answer is RDRS bikes use calibrations with torque based throttle control, there is torque modeling that needs to be calibrated for the given application and other related tables that require attention.

Sarhan

Dynojet PV still do not have the tq management system figured out also there is no table for it, right now only  TTS that made table for it and it works fine 

Jamie Long

:
Quote from: Sarhan on May 30, 2020, 05:12:44 AM
Dynojet PV still do not have the tq management system figured out also there is no table for it, right now only  TTS that made table for it and it works fine

Not correct, we have fully supported RDRS Power Vision calibrations from stock bikes up to 150+ Hp applications. FM owns an RDRS bike for R&D, we've built/tuned dozens of customer cam/big bore combos, and we distribute RDRS tunes to our customers every day. While it may be new to H-D, Torque based throttle control is actually nothing new, its been in several other Dynojet supported flash tuning applications for some time.

rigidthumper

From Dynojet:
Pat Daniels (Dynojet)
May 19, 2020, 10:47:00 AM PDT

For model year 2020, Harley-Davidson added a new feature to their Motorcycles called the Reflex Defensive Rider Systems (RDRS). With the addition of this system, it changes how we go about tuning these motorcycles, and it also changes how the Throttle Blades are controlled. We will no longer see the throttle blades work as they did on previous year motorcycles. On the previous years with Electronic Controlled Throttle (ETC), the ECM from Harley started with simple controls, that we had tables of rider request vs. engine RPM to control what the throttle blades would do.

As the systems moved forward, they started using a different method to control the blades. The blades would be controlled by the ECM based off requested torque. This is a complicated method and the ECM does a tremendous amount of math and calculations based off requested torque, as determined by many tables in the ECM's calibration, along with real time engine information. Prior to 2020 models, we were able to simply turn this system off and use the older method of rider request vs. RPM. 2020 motorcycles equipped with the RDRS system can no longer turn the torque based throttle control off for normal use.

For tuning the motorcycles on the Dyno we will turn the system off for easier tuning, but the system has to be turned back on once we have the VE table calibrated and ensure the engine is getting the correct amount of fuel. The bike will have DTC's while RDRS is disabled. Once the system is turned back on, the DTC's need to be cleared. Along with the new way of controlling the throttle blades, there are several new limit setups in the ECM. Among these limits are different speed limiters, and new torque limits (part of the new throttle blade control). These new limits are also on motorcycles without RDRS. As we work on the development of the tunes for these bikes we have been able to change some of the settings in our Pre-Configured tunes, but we still have settings we are working on, as changing one setting without changing several others causes undesirable outcomes or Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's).

Patrick Daniels
Power Vision / Power Vision CX Tech support
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jamie Long

precisely why we have our own R&D and tune support program. As noted we can can hand customers a fully operational RDRS PV tune for most combinations, no codes, no issues.

Texgrizzly

Thanks for all the info on how Dynojet is developing tunes/maps for bikes with the M8 and RDRS. Do you have a solution for a 2020 Road King, 107, Screaming Eagle Hi flow AC, with TAB full exhaust (including BAM sticks)? If so, I'll order a PV immediately. If not, is it on the roadmap for development?
Do I need to deactivate RDRS for the tunes to work. Please excuse me if these are dumb questions....I want to have a Proven working solution before I begin making any changes.....

Thanks for the info/advice...... :smile: