March 28, 2024, 05:49:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Daytona twin tec woes

Started by waltcentral, May 17, 2020, 11:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

I need to thank all that responded to my post. I am going to contact Daytona as well just to let them know that the tech was right all along in the fact that there was a wiring problem.
    I attempted to start the bike and only got a click from the relay but touching a wire from batt + to the post on the solenoid that energizes the solenoid it cranked. Pulled battery tray and checked all wires no problem found.
    I started on ign switch wiring.   (I replaced the old ign switch) And I discovered two problems. 1)no oil light, 2)the turn signals only operate with headlamps on.  Did a google search and found a picture of a shovel ignition and the jumper wires we crossed under themselves. So I made mine look like the picture and everything works as it should even setting the static timing came up immediately after a couple of wiggles.
     The lesson here is do not do more than one thing at a time. 
  Walt

76shuvlinoff

QuoteThe lesson here is do not do more than one thing at a time. 

Like changing cam(s) and carbs?   Guilty.... twice.  :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

In my case it's more often to tear everything down to the last nut and bolt, and rebuild it back from there. So pretty much everything has been changed at the same time. This is why it can take quite some time to chase out all the bugs after a restoration. Just part of the adventure, and a test of one's troubleshooting skills.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber