March 28, 2024, 07:33:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Daytona twin tec woes

Started by waltcentral, May 17, 2020, 11:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheech

Quote from: waltcentral on May 18, 2020, 02:37:19 PM
I do not like this timing cup, it can cock to one side.
The tang in the slot of cam? Easy to smash them if not?

waltcentral

The tang fits in but the bottom of the recess that the cam fits in has a rounded shoulder instead of being round and flat at the bottom like a soup can.  If you look at Daytona TT website and search for rotor it is made correctly. I am not sure what a stock H-D model looks like.
Again thanks here to Cheech  for the help.

waltcentral

Quote from: cheech on May 18, 2020, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: waltcentral on May 17, 2020, 03:25:16 PM
OK I installed  my Dyna dual fire coil and same results. white wire and White Black wire from ignition connected to one terminal and pink wire to another.
I'm puzzled on this??
Only a white/black from module should be powering the module.
The only other wire with white involved is a purple/white that goes to a VOES if used. Otherwise insulate.

Are you inadvertently connecting that wire to a 12 volt source at coil?

I missed this question yesterday. On my bike there is a white wire connected to the kill switch/ignition switch and the white/black connects to the same post.
Or is the white from your switch?

cheech

Quote from: waltcentral on May 19, 2020, 03:20:40 AM
The tang fits in but the bottom of the recess that the cam fits in has a rounded shoulder instead of being round and flat at the bottom like a soup can.  If you look at Daytona TT website and search for rotor it is made correctly. I am not sure what a stock H-D model looks like.
Again thanks here to Cheech  for the help.
Well A OEM is only a $10-ish dollar part if that copy irks you to bad.
OEM pictures below if you wanted to compare.

JW113

You guys beat me to it, buy my question to Walt was going to be: Where did you get the timing cup? If it's aftermarket, toss it in the trash and get an OEM one. I fought similar problems years ago with a non-stock timing cup. After getting the OEM, the bike fired right up. In comparing the OEM vs. Aftermarket, the slots were not cut in the same place. Just one more thing to rule out.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

waltcentral

I work at H-D of Frederick, MD. The owner said he sold off the last one he had to ebay.  I ordered one from Daytona that looks exactly like yours. I know it will arrive here by Saturday.  I don't mind paying for stuff that works. I may order the harley part as a back up.
Thanks again!

turboprop

Quote from: waltcentral on May 19, 2020, 09:29:30 AM
I work at H-D of Frederick, MD. The owner said he sold off the last one he had to ebay.  I ordered one from Daytona that looks exactly like yours. I know it will arrive here by Saturday.  I don't mind paying for stuff that works. I may order the harley part as a back up.
Thanks again!

Wait a minute, you work at a harley dealership. Curious, what department do you work in at this dealership and why are the techs not hooking you up?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

waltcentral

This is prime season for service and even at my labor rate I do my own work. I am in the sales dept.  I work cheap but am not very quick.

waltcentral

JW113 I ordered the stock timing cup also, good info, thanks.

Racepres

Quote from: waltcentral on May 19, 2020, 09:29:30 AM
Thanks again!
Been there... Prolly Seen Ya!!!!

Burnout

Just because a tech works at a dealership does not qualify him/her to work on 30 year old bikes with aftermarket parts.

At the prices they charge your not likely to want to pay him to learn.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

I had run by the dealership on my FLH to see if they had a part in stock (not, of course), went to out to the parking lot to leave, and a kid (one of the HD techs) was checking out my bike. Says "nice bike man. Is that a Fatboy?" I had to explain to him it was the Fatboy's grandpa, a Shovelhead. LOL!

-JW

Burnout

idiot: "Is that a Harley?"

Me: "No, it's an FXR."
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

waltcentral

We are running short staffed because of the virus so the GM's backup ordered my rotor cup. She looked at the screen and paused , said my price was $6.66 cents.
Racepres look me up if you ever come by, Walter.

cheech

May 20, 2020, 07:02:20 AM #39 Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:47:33 AM by cheech
Quote from: waltcentral on May 20, 2020, 03:44:48 AM
We are running short staffed because of the virus so the GM's backup ordered my rotor cup. She looked at the screen and paused , said my price was $6.66 cents.
Well Walter that's why we wondered why you just didn't go that route the first time?
Covid stuff have it backorderd maybe and the JP was available right away?

waltcentral

I was off work for 6 weeks and live 60 miles from work. Shipments have been slow but the rotor came in today. It seems they were packing an overnight shipment and they threw it in that box.

cheech

Quote from: waltcentral on May 20, 2020, 09:06:45 AM
I was off work for 6 weeks and live 60 miles from work. Shipments have been slow but the rotor came in today. It seems they were packing an overnight shipment and they threw it in that box.
:up: Makes sense. Well hopefully you're back at work and moving some inventory.

waltcentral

Back to work a week and a half and sold 4 bikes, two of those were v-rods. Weird!
My rotor cup showed up, they were packing up an overnight box and threw it in with the rest of the stuff. Fits perfect but getting the light on-off is still a little wonky. I would like to place the 1005 in kick start mode to see if that helps. Hopefully with single fire I will be able to see the timing marks through the clear plastic lens to get the advance set correctly. I have a dial back timing light.

JW113

Just for grins, how about centering the module in the adjustment slots, and see if the thing will fire up? That will tell you if the module is working or not. Adjust the timing with a light afterwards.

-JW

waltcentral

They show a picture of the module as in a finished install in the instructions. I have gotten the light to come while lifting the module away from the seat. So that will have to be good enough. It doesn't take much to be 2-3 degrees off though.

billbuilds

Do you have washers on the studs that hold the module in place?  If not you might want to install them and see if it makes a difference. IIRC you need them w/ the points setup or it'll stop firing when you loosen the studs to adjust the plate. 

JW113

2-3 degrees off is going to make no difference to get it started. Again, I think you need to worry about timing accuracy AFTER it's running.

-JW

waltcentral

I hope I can see the flywheel marks through the plastic lens, single fire is supposed to help.

JW113

It does. As does using florescent orange paint on the timing mark.

-JW

Hossamania

Polish the lens to get it as clear as possible.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.