April 24, 2024, 03:54:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Compensator, 2003

Started by Don D, May 19, 2020, 09:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

What happens when these no longer have enough tension? Do the springs need replacement,  are there specs or checks?
The motor is noisy from the chain housing. Crank is true all looks normal in the chain case and is properly adjusted. I know the sound of a loose nut, this is not the same, more metallic sounding. Have the case apart now, no apparent issues, installed new bearings.  Did find chain out of alignment due to missing shim outboard but still made the noise after fixing that. Saw witness marks on the rotor.

rigidthumper

Were there notches in the slider? That usually causes the most sound in that type comp.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

aharp

What kind of sound is it? This will sound nuts but I had this knocking sound at idle once. Sounded like a loose comp. Then I thought rod knock. Pulled the top end down and everything was tight with no signs on the skirts of the rod rollers being out. Pulled the primary apart to find the magnets inside the rotor loose and hitting each other. Pretty clunky but when I revved it up the noise went away. I wont forget that one, ever.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

Ohio HD

Any brass in the motor oil?

Don D

No brass, The rods and thrust washers are fine, first thing I checked. The magnets look fine too. The sound is more like valve train but from the comp area. Top end was perfect, went to 95" just for the heck of it. S&S 509 cams

klammer76

I had noise from my primary for the last few years on my 2002. Had checked the comp before and all was tight and good. Had some kick back occasionally if I forgot to use the comp releases. Had the primary off this winter and when holding the compensator noticed the washers were loose. Could shake it and they sounded loose and much like what I had been hearing from the primary. Ordered a new comp. No shake to it at all. noise from the Primary is much quieter this season so far.

RTMike

Sounds like the wafer springs have lost there tension Don, also check to see if the comp nut is putting enough load on the unit and not bottoming out.Just did one here it was bad,broke the rotter  around the sprocket shaft splines.

FSG

QuoteDid find chain out of alignment due to missing shim outboard

really ....  post up a parts breakdown showing the location of missing shim

jamminhd2000

Quote from: FSG on May 20, 2020, 03:18:27 PM
QuoteDid find chain out of alignment due to missing shim outboard

really ....  post up a parts breakdown showing the location of missing shim

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/stcharlesharleydavidson/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=443&b=22&c=0&d=2003%20FLHTCI%20ELECTRA%20GLIDE%20CLASSIC%AE%20(INJECTION)%20(FF)%20BELTS%20W/%20CHAINS%20AND%20SPROCKETS

Coyote

How does that effect alignment?

xlfan

Because shaft extension is moved outboard?