March 28, 2024, 01:58:31 PM

News:

No Start

Started by dwjohnson, May 19, 2020, 06:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

Need some ideas on this one. Got an 86 EVO 883 4 speed that doesn't want to crank. It has  been sitting but I've cleaned fuel system and carb well. It has spark, as I have checked it many times during the crank process. Also checked compression just to rule out and it shows 160# on both. Don't believe I've ever had one with spark that wouldn't crank on starting fluid but this one hasn't yet.
I did get it to run a couple secs on 1 cyl. on starting fluid before I cleaned anything just to be sure it was the fuel system from sitting. But now after I've got everything clean, it won't even cough on the starter fluid. Really strange with spark and fuel it doesn't fire.
  I did change out the plugs for test but no change. I've checked spark with plugs out grounded to head and in with an inline tester, shows spark both ways. Starting to think timing but never ran across this before. Stock ignition parts still in place. What's next to look at? Thanks for any ideas.

Panzer

Wow, spark, ether and no fire??
I'd check past the carb., like the intake manifold.
See if something didn't crawl in and build a (restricter) nest, since you said it was sitting.   How long sitting?
Ether not going to cylinders.
Have you tried a few drops of fuel directly into the plug holes and cranked it over?

Please advise.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

dwjohnson

Bike has been sitting a good while, like about 2 years or better, however someone else did try to crank it this past summer by buying a battery and getting it to turn over.
Have not tried straight gas but did think I would give that a shot next.
Past the carb I guess was checked with checking compression, but something else I found and dismissed may need checking closer. When shoving the carb back into the manifold, the manifold twisted some in the seals that set against the head. I pulled it back down for it to set level and moved on. I'm now wondering if it could be catching enough air there to be a problem? Again, I can't get over the fact of ether straight down throat of manifold with spark not firing though.
No thoughts on jumped timing??
Thanks! 

Hossamania

What color is the spark on the plugs? It should be a sharp blue, no yellow or orange.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

fbn ent

I'd say timing isn't the issue as it presumably ran before it was parked....unless it didn't  :crook:. Are you getting fuel past the petcock? It could be possible the intake seals are real bad. Don't overdo it with the ether...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

dwjohnson

The spark is a little odd ... in the bike with the inline tester, it's blue, but out of the bike grounded to the head, it's more orange.
yea I only use very sparingly on the ether, I've learned that. Ofcourse it only takes a trace amount to tell you what you need to know.
I can really easily move the manifold up and down now, so it's coming off to inspect. Will report back soon

dwjohnson

Up and running!!  But not what I expected.
       New Spark plugs fixed it. Intake seals were real bad but still nothing. Went back to spark with plugs out and it looked more orange and weaker so since I hadn't tried new plugs....Bingo. Only 2nd time I've ever actually found dead plugs. oh well live and learn.
Thanks for all the tips

fbn ent

Glad you got it figured !   :beer:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Panzer

:up:
Thanks for feeding back and well done on your end.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.