April 16, 2024, 09:43:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Top fork cap question

Started by Adam76, May 19, 2020, 10:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

May 19, 2020, 10:00:34 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:47:06 AM by Adam76
Hey guys,  kinda stuck with this top nut and don't want to break anything.   1996 Heritage softail
Can't seem to crack the top nut of the fork loose, even when put back up through the lower tree just low enough between the two trees to get good access and tightened up pinch bolts to 40 ft/lbs. The fork tube keeps slipping/ spinning round and the nut jammed tight.... Tried tapping with rubber mallet.  Any ideas on how to get this one off?
My manual and YouTube have not been any help. 
Thanks.

98fxstc

you got one undone but not the other ?

Put it back in original position with both clamps, upper and lower tightened to spec
if it wont shift with pressure on with open end spanner or shifter, give it a tap on top with a wooden mallet while under pressure

FSG

this pic is of 95 - 96, never mind that it's wrong .......  it was 25 yrs ago  :SM:

the upper tree doesnt do much other than stop the leg from falling out, clamping is done by the lower tree and bolt # 7

if you haven't already changed out those bolts to good quality high tensile then I suggest you do

put the leg back into the other side of the tree and have another go, it maybe the tree holes are slightly worn/different in diameter

failing that .....  I used a gal garden gate pipe clamp hinge to hold the tubes in the bench vise, give something like that a go

Adam76

May 20, 2020, 02:14:42 AM #3 Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:32:41 AM by Adam76
Quote from: FSG on May 20, 2020, 01:52:14 AM
this pic is of 95 - 96, never mind that it's wrong .......  it was 25 yrs ago  :SM:

the upper tree doesnt do much other than stop the leg from falling out, clamping is done by the lower tree and bolt # 7

if you haven't already changed out those bolts to good quality high tensile then I suggest you do

put the leg back into the other side of the tree and have another go, it maybe the tree holes are slightly worn/different in diameter

failing that .....  I used a gal garden gate pipe clamp hinge to hold the tubes in the bench vise, give something like that a go

Thanks  FSG,  long time no chat 😁  yes, good idea to swap those bolts out to new high tensile ones. 

How far up the lower clamp should I position it? Close up to the top clamp but not into it? Or just slightly through the bottom clamp?
Thanks

Adam76

May 20, 2020, 02:29:49 AM #4 Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:45:35 AM by Adam76
Quote from: 98fxstc on May 20, 2020, 01:16:08 AM

Put it back in original position with both clamps, upper and lower tightened to spec
if it wont shift with pressure on with open end spanner or shifter, give it a tap on top with a wooden mallet while under pressure

Thanks, but I don't understand what you mean by put in original position and tighten up both clamps?   If I do that then I can't get access to the cap nut at the top to undo it with because it's inside the top clamp..  :scratch:

FSG

QuoteClose up to the top clamp but not into it?

:up:   :SM:  just enough room to get the spanner on

QuoteOr just slightly through the bottom clamp?

NO as then you'll be clamping the tube to item # 26

capn

Use a dead blow hammer and hit the wrench as hard as you can.

Adam76

May 20, 2020, 03:46:31 AM #7 Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:59:12 AM by Adam76
Quote from: FSG on May 20, 2020, 02:50:13 AM
QuoteClose up to the top clamp but not into it?

:up:   :SM:  just enough room to get the spanner on

QuoteOr just slightly through the bottom clamp?
NO as then you'll be clamping the tube to item # 26

Adam76

Quote from: capn on May 20, 2020, 03:12:20 AM
Use a dead blow hammer and hit the wrench as hard as you can.
I was tempted,  but thought I would damage the fork tube?  Looks like it's come to that anyway.
Thanks

98fxstc

Quote from: Adam76 on May 20, 2020, 02:29:49 AM

Thanks, but I don't understand what you mean by put in original position and tighten up both clamps?   If I do that then I can't get access to the cap nut at the top to undo it with because it's inside the top clamp..  :scratch:
I can get the cap nut on my 98 from above the top clamp
I can see from FSG's pic that you cannot do that  :embarrassed:

Adam76

Quote from: 98fxstc on May 20, 2020, 06:21:21 AM
Quote from: Adam76 on May 20, 2020, 02:29:49 AM

I can get the cap nut on my 98 from above the top clamp
I can see from FSG's pic that you cannot do that  :embarrassed:
Yeah, l wish l could.... would make things a little easier having two clamping points on the fork rubber instead of just one.

Racepres

Lucky me... I have more than one 41mm lower tree...and one is used simply for a Tool... a holding tool...
Shock may be the only way to loosen an overtightened Cap.. Try a Brass Hammer first... Then...about a 3 pounder..
That threaded part at the top...where the Cap goes On... is a common Straight thread... put a Shortened bolt in it ..and Hit that Sucker with yer three pounder like ya Hate it... shock will loosen the Top and I do Mean... drive it like a big nail...

Burnout

There is a socket made that fit the top nut of the fork and then you remove it with an impact gun.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

I've come across a few that were quite stuck. I have a 15" adjustable wrench that I use on them. Remove the pinch bolt and replace it with a Grade 8. Lower the tube to get the wrench on the cap, tighten the pinch bolt really tight, then use a 5lb or so hammer and beat on the end of the wrench. If the tube still rotates in the clamp, tighten the pinch bolt more. Don't worry about the bolt, you are going to replace it again when you're done.

If that still will not break it free..... get out the torch and heat the tube at the top where the cap threads are. That will always cause it to crack free.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

04rkryder

"If that still will not break it free..... get out the torch and heat the tube at the top where the cap threads are. That will always cause it to crack free."

Rebuilt my fork tubes on my 95 Heritage a couple months ago . Had same problem as you. did as JW113 said above to get mine off.

JW113

There are very few things that the blue tipped wrench won't loosen...
:SM:

-JW

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on May 20, 2020, 11:46:23 AM
I've come across a few that were quite stuck. I have a 15" adjustable wrench that I use on them. Remove the pinch bolt and replace it with a Grade 8. Lower the tube to get the wrench on the cap, tighten the pinch bolt really tight, then use a 5lb or so hammer and beat on the end of the wrench. If the tube still rotates in the clamp, tighten the pinch bolt more. Don't worry about the bolt, you are going to replace it again when you're done.

If that still will not break it free..... get out the torch and heat the tube at the top where the cap threads are. That will always cause it to crack free.

-JW

No Heat... I won't do that.. Again... just like those Phillips head screws in Cases... Drive it like a Damn Nail.. especially with a Bolt in the Threaded hole to protect the Cap....If you hit a phillips head case screw hard... it will come out with a cheap screwdriver...

jsachs1

A fool proof deal I made years ago. 1 1/4" hex bar I used to make Jap Bike starter nuts from. Milled a slot to fit the fork tube. Tigged a band around it so the slot couldn't spread. Now you can nail it with an impact gun, and 1 1/4" socket. Works every time.
John
[attach=0,msg1347901]   

rigidthumper

And if you're not a handy as John, you can get one of these.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

JW113

I don't have that socket, might pick one up it's cheap enough. However, depending on the part in question, heat is no worse and possibly less concern than beating on it. For this case, I would not hesitate to do it again should the need arise. I see nothing that can be damaged from heating the top of the tube. Might get a little smoky, though.
:SM:

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on May 20, 2020, 11:46:23 AM

-JW
Thanks JW,  that was exactly going to be my game plan.  Cheers, will let you know how i go today.

Adam76

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 20, 2020, 03:25:56 PM
And if you're not a handy as John, you can get one of these.
Thanks rigid, yeah I've seen those - $30 Australian not too bad but add the  $USD  shipping and I can't justify $60+ for a one time use socket....... I will try JWs method or even try and weld ond up like John has done.
Cheers

Adam76

Quote from: jsachs1 on May 20, 2020, 02:25:37 PM
A fool proof deal I made years ago. 1 1/4" hex bar I used to make Jap Bike starter nuts from. Milled a slot to fit the fork tube. Tigged a band around it so the slot couldn't spread. Now you can nail it with an impact gun, and 1 1/4" socket. Works every time.
John
[attach=0,msg1347901]

👍  looks good. Dont think my skills are as good as yours. Might be an opportunity to practice my welding skills 😁

FSG

the only thing in there from a heat perspective is an o-ring and it's replaceable

so JW is on the money

JW113

There are some things that are safe to heat, and some not. If they are heat treated, applying a torch is going to take the treatment out. If it's a wear or strength surface, not good. If simply structural, no problemo. Forks are made from cold formed steel tubing, and not heat treated. They are chrome plated for corrosion and wear, and heat will mess up the color where you apply it, but not in the region of concern (at the sliders). Yep, that O-ring is gonna get toasted, but when rebuilding forks, you need to replace pretty much all the soft parts.

-JW