May 06, 2024, 09:57:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twin cam build for custom

Started by Daxcobra, May 17, 2020, 06:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxcobra

Hi guys/gals, long post, just joined so need a steer, have built a few bikes/cars so handy with spanner's, I am putting together a rigid twin cam custom, 2005 cases with cam bearings machined out for 06 up plate/tensioners, 96 top end, nothing radical, will probably get an ultima box later, so was intending to use standard clutch primary etc, thing is I have a 96 fine spline crank which is ready to go trued etc, so if I have a standard clutch basket with drive sprocket at rear the crank I have with standard components will have a chain alignment issue, is it possible to use a solid front crank sprocket eliminating the compensator? And using spacers get the line up? Or reverse it? I don't think the 07 up clutch basket will fit? If it did that would align things, parts are much more expensive over here and harder to source so need to get my ducks in a row, just throwing it out there, appreciate any feedback, advice etc.  Dave

koko3052

Using that 96" crank will give you skull cramps all the way through your build. Use an S&S 4 3/8" stroke & you won't have to spend the bucks for truing....you will also save your hair! :wink:
You have the cam journals resized so pick up a set of used 110" barrels & have the cases cut too or get a set of drop in 110 cyls.. Used 110" heads are quite common & you will have a good runner. :up:

Daxcobra

Hillside Motorcycle

Simple case boring machining operation, can allow the use of S&S 4.125" bore cylinders yielding a 117" with the 4 3/8" arm.
Big power on tap then.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

aharp

I would bite the bullet and get the right crank. It will eliminate huge headaches on the horizon and a definite snowballing. It could likely be made to work but many times it's easier in the long run to buy the correct part so you know for sure the rest will go together easily. Just my opinion.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

Daxcobra

Appreciate the comments, s and s crank over here with the current exchange rate would be around 1500 bucks, will look at options, thanks guys.  Dave

koko3052

Well if you're going to go with a 4 3/8" crank you really only have two choices, the S&S or finding an HD 103" crank pre '07. those are going to be a tough find. Then sending it out to get trued is going to cost some coin too. Here in Can. we'll pay about the same. Only other way to go is with a 4" crank & a bore to 95". Any half decent 95 is going to wax a 96" anyways. :up:

Daxcobra

Yes, thinking 95/98 is the way to go👍