March 28, 2024, 01:30:46 PM

News:

roller rocker vs non roller rocker twincam

Started by tc1550, May 20, 2020, 11:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc1550

117 ci build s&s premium lifters set .140 se roller rockers .Been chasing ticking noise left side plug side  engine since build was always ticky .Running a 650 lift cam wont say what brand but have complaints about noise in older posts .Been driving me crazy was gonna replace cams but for research sanity removed roller rockers put oem rockers back on .Bike seems 90% quiter .Am i crazy ot are roller rockers known to be noisy i thought they helped sideloading and vale tip wear .Or is this placebo afftect ?

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

kd

Did you clearance the rocker boxes and covers? Did you clay them and check The clearance.  It's pretty common to not relieve them enough for roller rockers.  The rollers contribute to an increased stack height and don't need to touch much to make the sound you describe. The fact the noice went away when reverting to non rollers kinda supports insufficient clearances. 
KD

turboprop

Quote from: tc1550 on May 20, 2020, 11:11:05 AM
117 ci build s&s premium lifters set .140 se roller rockers .Been chasing ticking noise left side plug side  engine since build was always ticky .Running a 650 lift cam wont say what brand but have complaints about noise in older posts .Been driving me crazy was gonna replace cams but for research sanity removed roller rockers put oem rockers back on .Bike seems 90% quiter .Am i crazy ot are roller rockers known to be noisy i thought they helped sideloading and vale tip wear .Or is this placebo afftect ?

Yes.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

itsafatboy

So changing the rockers could have changed how the valves hit the seats , the 9f cam slams pretty fast , same as all his cams , I chased noise on the TW8G did everything you could didn't make a diff, then went to 9BG 630 lift it was noisy with the BC gerolomy heads but then put a set of zippers billet heads on and was all quiet , so I think it can be how the valve hits the seat on these fast ramp cams ,  just my opinion ,     

Hillside Motorcycle

Roller-tip rockers arms, have been the root of many/much mis-diagnosed valvetrain noises for years.
I don't use them in my 2013 FLHX 131"/662-2, or other personal bikes that have Wood 9B, or 9F cams.
Very quiet.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on May 29, 2020, 04:15:33 AM
Roller-tip rockers arms, have been the root of many/much mis-diagnosed valvetrain noises for years.
I don't use them in my 2013 FLHX 131"/662-2, or other personal bikes that have Wood 9B, or 9F cams.
Very quiet.

:agree: I notice increased noise when installed. Even when clearance is correct. However, I believe they are worth the inconvenience of noise.
Tom

guydoc77

Quote from: turboprop on May 20, 2020, 11:28:30 AM
Quote from: tc1550 linkcolor=red]are roller rockers known to be noisy[/color] i thought they helped sideloading and vale tip wear .Or is this placebo afftect ?

Yes.

LOL. It really is as simple as just answering the question.

turboprop

Quote from: guydoc77 on May 29, 2020, 09:06:49 PM
Quote from: turboprop on May 20, 2020, 11:28:30 AM
Quote from: tc1550 linkcolor=red]are roller rockers known to be noisy[/color] i thought they helped sideloading and vale tip wear .Or is this placebo afftect ?

Yes.

LOL. It really is as simple as just answering the question.

It can/should be. Not sure why so many feel the need to digress into irrelevancies.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.