March 29, 2024, 04:08:49 AM

News:

Fast Idle Question

Started by PJultra, May 20, 2020, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJultra

I have a CV carb that I rejetted and the bike is running better then it has since I've owned it. I have just replaced the stock exhaust with a Rinehart 2into1.
What, other then maybe a choke issue, would cause the idle speed to run high and then go down to normal idle?
When I got off of the freeway and stopped at the first light, the idle was at around 1400rpm, I pushed on the choke which seemed to be all the way in, and after a few seconds it went down to 1000rpm. Then at the next light it happened again. I blipped the throttle a couple of times and it went back down.
It didn't do it on the way into work that I noticed.
First real ride since I rejetted.
No motor work done. Stock 80", ev13 cam, ness bigsucker air box, and the 2into1's.
Any suggestions? Thanx in advance,
98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

PJultra

What is that, Dyna S dual fire with weights.

Julio

Idle mixture is too lean. Turn out the slow jet screw until it returns to idle immediately after you blip the throttle.
If turning the screw doesn't give you results, install the next bigger slow jet.

PJultra

Thank you. Right now the jets are 48/180. I will check that out.

Hossamania

A 48 seems a little large for an 80" motor. I don't think I'd go any larger, and would actually go with a 45 or 46. For reference, I run a 46 on a 95" with a cv44 carb.
Check for vacuum leaks first.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Racepres

I had that with an Intake leak once also...

Hossamania

An intake leak may also cause false readings resulting in an overly large jet to overcome a lean condition.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Julio

I've been running 48/175 jets on 2 stock early evos and an '81 shovel for years. I get ~42 mpg and all 3 start within 2 kicks when cold.
Before you start chasing vacuum leaks, open your slow jet 1/2 turn at a time and see if that makes a difference.

JW113

When is the last time you had the intake manifold off the heads? Those intake seals are notorious for getting brittle with age/heat and cracking.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

PJultra

Quote from: JW113 on May 21, 2020, 08:59:36 AM
When is the last time you had the intake manifold off the heads? Those intake seals are notorious for getting brittle with age/heat and cracking.

-JW

It's only been a few months. I picked up the thicker blue seals. I have sprayed the manifold with carb cleaner and my idle doesn't change one iota. So I know I do not have a leak.
I will make little adjustments to the air mixture screw. If need be, I'll put the 45 back in.
That reminds me, I ordered new air mixture screw packing from CV Performance weeks ago. I haven't heard anything back from them

Burnout

Advance mechanism is borked and slow to return to idle.

(broken spring?)(or worse)

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on May 21, 2020, 08:23:19 PM

On Older stuff...that used a mechanical Advance Mechanism... my go-to as well... But...OP says Stock 80 inch Evo... stock is Cup Pickup!!

rigidthumper

Quote from: PJultra on May 20, 2020, 09:37:06 PM

Check/lube the weight springs.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Racepres

Apologies Burnout... You nailed it... I only read "Stock" and was silly enough to Assume we were talking about Stock.

Burnout

My most NOT favorite ignition!

This failure was in part caused by a Dyna S ignition.

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on May 22, 2020, 08:08:04 AM

Damn Shame... But... I have had Much very good luck with the Dyna-S
Street bikes and On the Strip... on the strip we disable the Mechanical advance... locked down at full advance...turn ignition On after engine Spinning... Sorry you had problems... Looks like a Timing or...RPM problem... the Dyna-S as you know, does Not control RPM!!!

PJultra

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 22, 2020, 05:27:47 AM

My stock WAAAS EFI

PJultra

Quote from: Julio on May 21, 2020, 08:59:29 AM
I've been running 48/175 jets on 2 stock early evos and an '81 shovel for years. I get ~42 mpg and all 3 start within 2 kicks when cold.
Before you start chasing vacuum leaks, open your slow jet 1/2 turn at a time and see if that makes a difference.

I have a 170 and a 180. I should pick up a 175 and give it a try. pretty easy since I don't pull the carb.

PJultra

Quote from: Burnout on May 21, 2020, 08:23:19 PM

I will definitely take a look.

PJultra

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 22, 2020, 05:27:47 AM

Cuz there's better then lubed springs..... :SM:   hahaha  I get yer meaning. I'm just a true blooded smartass.

PJultra

Quote from: Burnout on May 22, 2020, 08:08:04 AM

Can I ask, how did the ignition cause that? What happened?
I ran the same iggy on my shovelhead for years and never had a problem.
What iggy do you prefer?

Burnout

It was a single fire Dyna S, that unit has two sensors one for the front and one for the rear. The rear one failed, it went un-noticed as there were multiple problems. Got the other problems fixed and took it out for a test blast, and the random sparks nuked the rear piston.

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on May 23, 2020, 06:11:28 PM
It was a single fire Dyna S, that unit has two sensors one for the front and one for the rear. The rear one failed, it went un-noticed as there were multiple problems. Got the other problems fixed and took it out for a test blast, and the random sparks nuked the rear piston.
Someone didn't notice it was "One Lunging"

Burnout

It ran fairly decent, started well, like I said there were other problems that masked the problem with the ignition.

The other problems got fixed and he was enjoying the power improvement, when it belched out a significant fireball.    :bike: