March 28, 2024, 12:08:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shrouded O2 sensors

Started by blackhillsken, May 21, 2020, 06:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhillsken

Oh, yeah, this poor O2 sensor should work just fine almost completely out of the exhaust stream. No wonder closed loop tunes go to hell.
Two Bros 2-1 pipe setup. I tuned it open loop.
Ken

rbabos

Quote from: blackhillsken on May 21, 2020, 06:13:44 AM
Oh, yeah, this poor O2 sensor should work just fine almost completely out of the exhaust stream. No wonder closed loop tunes go to hell.
Known issue with reducers. When I got my akro pipe for the v rod , same thing. Tip of sensor not even into the pipe. Actually a hair less. A bunch of trimming and it's 1/4" protrusion. Seems to sample well and got the tune done.
Ron

blackhillsken

Good you did that Ron. Only way to make them run efficiently closed loop.
Ken

rbabos

Quote from: blackhillsken on May 22, 2020, 11:32:20 AM
Good you did that Ron. Only way to make them run efficiently closed loop.
I've heard some say it sampled just fine as is. Me, I'm skeptical and didn't take that chance.
Ron

Buglet

That's just tuning a bike with the sensors outside the pipe, that seams to work for some tuners.

Hilly13

You would think the pipe manufacturers would be a bit more savvy by now.
Just because its said don't make it so

rigidthumper

May 24, 2020, 07:41:50 AM #6 Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:09:55 AM by rigidthumper
Harley sells adapters that aren't horrible, if you want to use closed loop. 
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 24, 2020, 07:41:50 AM
Harley sells adapters that aren't horrible, if you want to use closed loop. PN 65700021.
Pic to follow as soon as I get to the shop.
Feuling has a nice low profile reducer. Obviously some planning in the design. Most are generic crap that need to see a lathe first before using them. I even had to reduce the welded in port in the pipe about 1/8" to get the desired result.
Ron

Buglet

I'am trying to understand this, its OK to tune a bike with the sensors out of the exhaust stream but it have to have the sensors set right in the pipe to run it down the road. 

aharp

Quote from: Buglet on May 25, 2020, 05:34:37 AM
   I'am trying to understand this, its OK to tune a bike with the sensors out of the exhaust stream but it have to have the sensors set right in the pipe to run it down the road.

It depends on how you sample and the setup. If you use the manifolds and draw the exhaust across a sensor that is setup correctly you're good.

Quote from: blackhillsken on May 21, 2020, 06:13:44 AM
What were you seeing for closed loop readings? Curious how far off it was.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Welding work best - Just say'n
Tom

blackhillsken

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 24, 2020, 07:41:50 AM
Harley sells adapters that aren't horrible, if you want to use closed loop.

Thanks Robin. I'll be getting some of those.
Ken

blackhillsken

What were you seeing for closed loop readings? Curious how far off it was.

Didn't even try. Been there too many times to waste another partial tune effort only to wind up tuning open loop. Too busy to mess with poor designs. I'll be trying the Harley adapters & expect them to work based on rigidthumper's  picture.
Ken