March 28, 2024, 11:47:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

James exhaust port gaskets.

Started by Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot, May 22, 2020, 06:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Was just wondering if anyone has used these James exhaust gaskets on an Evo motor and have any kind of advice or feedback on them?
The reason i ask is, over the years iv`e tried and tried to get the stock steel crusher type gaskets into the ports without damaging them. I can`t! Now iv`e watched every Youtube video on how to fit them cleanly and without messing them up. I guess i don`t have the required skill for such an undertaking  :cry:
So i bought a set of the James gaskets to try an eliminate the constant blow by i get with stock items.
Was thinking that maybe i need to fit two James gaskets per port for a better seal, they certainly seem more pliable and user friendly than the Harley ones.
Any advice or know how would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks yalls.
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

thumper 823

I am not sure how many vendors make the round copperish metal crushable one.
It works well and nothing to come apart and fray all over the place.
If you are working with advanced porting techniques I would use them.
The avg joe will never feel see the difference.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

These are not copperish, more like some kind of fiber but i believe they have steel steel in them. They are flat and very bendable.
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

Hossamania

Much like the flat SE gaskets. I've had good luck with them on aftermarket exhausts. One key is to wiggle the exhaust as it goes together and gets progressively tightened at all the fasteners including the mounts and clamps. Re-tighten the flange gaskets after the first ride. I've used them on stock exhaust as well. (SE, not James)
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Thanks Hoss,
so is one gasket per port ok or, is it a good idea to put two in each port ?  :scratch:

Burnout

I prefer the old beveled gaskets as they are less likely to get wadded up and obstruct flow.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

thumper 823

D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Hossamania

Quote from: Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot on May 22, 2020, 11:55:24 AM
Thanks Hoss,
so is one gasket per port ok or, is it a good idea to put two in each port ?  :scratch:

I've always gotten away with using just one.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ohio HD

C9247 Cometic is a good fit and doesn't fold up like the thin SE style gaskets. These are about 0.250" thick. They seal well, and hold up well, and they don't block the port.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

PoorUB

Quote from: Burnout on May 22, 2020, 03:14:42 PM
I prefer the old beveled gaskets as they are less likely to get wadded up and obstruct flow.

It depends on the pipe. Some have tapered ends, some are blunt.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Racepres

Quote from: PoorUB on May 22, 2020, 06:53:40 PM
Quote from: Burnout on May 22, 2020, 03:14:42 PM

It depends on the pipe. Some have tapered ends, some are blunt.

^^^ Read and Heed...

jsachs1

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 22, 2020, 04:50:20 PM
C9247 Cometic is a good fit and doesn't fold up like the thin SE style gaskets. These are about 0.250" thick. They seal well, and hold up well, and they don't block the port.

[attach=0,msg1348252]

[attach=1,msg1348252]
You will NEVER have a problem with these exhaust gaskets. The best bar none.  :up:
John

Buglet

One thing I do is lube the port and gasket with a little grease, it makes it a lot easier to install them and make sure the port a clean. 

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Well thanks everyone for the advice, these flat type fiber and steel gaskets work a treat, fitted them, rode for 50 miles, tightened them down again and absolutely perfect. No more blow by.  :scoot: :up: