April 18, 2024, 04:43:36 AM

News:

HPI TB accepting stock air cleaner

Started by deerjoe, May 25, 2020, 10:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerjoe

HI all... Has anyone else had an issue with an HPI 62mm TB for a '17-up touring M8 accepting a stock air cleaner after installation?  All the info I saw on their unit said it will accept HD air cleaners, but mine is Waaaay off.  The breather bolts line up but the throat of the TB is at least a half inch high in relation to the back plate.  Ive turned it every way possible, had others look at it, even bought a new K&N air cleaner kit that was supposed to fit a stock M8 and it doesnt line up either... stumped.
j

kd

May 25, 2020, 10:09:05 AM #1 Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:56:16 AM by kd
When I bought one of the first 62/64 throttle bodies Jimmy told me they were using the S&S Stealth backing plate for their testing.  That's what I use now.  I expect the basic TB design will be similar and probaly what you need.  That way you can still use the rest of your breather parts or opt into an S&S cover.  You can also give him a call and ask him what will work.
KD

deerjoe

Thanks KD.  I just revisited the CSR site again... Thats who I got my TB from, and all indications are there that the a/c should fit.... Ill give them and HPI a call tomorrow. 
j

deerjoe

Found my problem... was misaligned, HPI ad is correct, air cleaner and TB fits great...
j

PoorUB

So you are saying you mounted the intake without using anything to line it up?

I always use the AC back plate and loosely mount it to the throttle body and breather bolts, then tighten the manifold flanges to the heads, like you are supposed too!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FLDavetrain

Quote from: PoorUB on May 26, 2020, 04:43:40 AM
So you are saying you mounted the intake without using anything to line it up?

I always use the AC back plate and loosely mount it to the throttle body and breather bolts, then tighten the manifold flanges to the heads, like you are supposed too!

Bingo
currently 510ci on tap