April 24, 2024, 01:07:05 AM

News:

Woods alpha lifters

Started by dheath9994, May 27, 2020, 12:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheath9994

Bike was making a lot of noise sounded like a tap or a knock. Compression test was good and I didn't see anything alarming in the oil. Brought it to my Indy that built the motor and he sent me this said the bores in the case are clean no scratches, pushrods weren't bent. Next he's gunna check for a broken valve spring. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Nastytls

dheath9994

May 27, 2020, 12:19:23 PM #2 Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:36:48 PM by dheath9994
Forgot to meantion lifters have about 6,000 miles on them 

wfolarry

You've got some metal floating around in there from somewhere. Might want to cut open your oil filter & have a look.

kd

That fine contamination is likely the culprit for the scoring and the ticking.  It doesn't take much to fubar the valve in the lifters.  Try disassembling them and clean then on a clean white paper towel.  As Larry said, check the pleats in the filter for an accumulation first.
KD

dheath9994

Filter was clean and so was oil. Slight metal dust like build up on drain plug but nothing of concern. All 4 bores were clean and no scratches. Rockers and valve springs were good along with no bent or loose rods. Bought some new lifters for him to install. After reading up on the woods lifters I see they recently came out with a new and improved model (I suspect because they had issues with these ones) so once the bikes all back together we'll see if that was the culprit

Ohio HD

I'd have the bores measured before plopping new lifters in. If "something" scarred those metal lifters, I wonder what it may have done to the aluminum bore dimensions?

kd

I will add they the fine "metal dust" is the size that can clog the litter valves.  Once inside it stays there unless you disassemble and clean them.
KD

choseneasy

Yup. They make a great filter- they are likely full of abrasive.

prodrag1320

check the axle fit ,ive seen more than one loose axle in woods lifters,we wont use them here

autoworker

The lifter bores will show wear and  marks if the od of the lifter has damage.You can't redefine physics.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

C-Cat

Just pulled Woods 777 cams and lifters from my 107 Twin Cam. Cams and Lifters look excellent with over 25K on them. These are the first generation Woods Lifters. Doing a 110 Drop in with TMAN Cams and Fueling lifters, but I'd run the Woods lifters again. I had good luck with them and the valve train was quiet.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

CVOKing

Junk Liftters. I had them. Kept getting plunger stuck in the body. Bobby Wood kept sending sets but claimed it wasn't on his end. Finally S&S premiums fixed the issue.