May 03, 2024, 03:02:27 AM

News:

replace lifters?

Started by timcosby, May 17, 2020, 10:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timcosby

rebuilding front cyl top end. 91 heritage softail classic. bike has 51k do you think i need to replace lifters while its apart or do they last into 100k. also looking at gaskets some say with fire ring some not kinda confusing.

wfolarry

I would replace the lifters. With 50k on it why take the chance.
Stock type gaskets have the fire ring. MLS gaskets have it stamped into them.The MLS can be had in different thickness so you could spec it to the build.  Both types work. Builder's choice.

Hillside Motorcycle

No doubt that the lifter rollers are loose.
That is the fear, of loosing the needles from them, the hydralic unit itself may be absolutely fine....but the dreaded rollers getting into the pump...ouch.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

timcosby

JohnnyCashPan

If hydraulics are good a competent shop can replace those rollers.  Be sure to use an experienced motorcycle shop.  Just bashing out the roller axles can split the lifter body.  A cheap automotive shop wouldn't necessarily know that.
Old, slow and fat...

Ohio HD

It would cost less to replace them then to buy rollers, axles, and labor to have the work performed. And you still have used lifters.

Buy some new lifters when in the motor.

JW113

I always considered tappets like tires, they are an expendable item. 30K min, 50K max, and the get replaced. Cheap insurance. Johnson Hy-Lift.
:up:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Bangkok BOB

Johnson make very good lifters and are available at very good prices.
A lot cheaper than the big names and better quality.
Regards B.B. :scoot:

jamminhd2000

Be aware of cylinder studs pulling out of case or case cracking around stud...seen it a couple different times around this year bike...jimmy

sfmichael

Quote from: JW113 on May 19, 2020, 05:05:37 PM
I always considered tappets like tires, they are an expendable item. 30K min, 50K max, and the get replaced. Cheap insurance. Johnson Hy-Lift.
:up:

-JW

^^^ this  :oil:
Colorado Springs, CO.

timcosby

looked at the stud base didnt see anything out the ordinary. this is what i found inside. one clip was missing from the other side of the piston in the pic. i assume thats what fugged everything. cylinder still had 50 psi...how i dont know. bought it smoking and spitting oil for 2k. found a good used cylinder and piston for $50...paid more for the gasket kit.

timcosby

[attach=0]  [attach=1]

timcosby

both sides of the cylinder looked like that too.

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

RTMike

Check for cracked con rod