April 24, 2024, 05:34:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twincam oil pump oring install

Started by fxdl03, May 28, 2020, 07:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxdl03

Gonna install plate and pump in am oring on tube or in case for best results with least chance of damage or scavanging thanks

chipthedonkey

I always install the ring on the oil pump.  Light oil.  On it goes.  More chance of issue if it's in the case than on the pump.

BigT

I always install the oring in the case as instructed in the manual. Oil or assembly lube press the pump assembly on then the plate.

No Cents

May 30, 2020, 05:41:37 PM #3 Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:05:23 PM by No Cents
  I put the o-ring in the case.
I lube the o-ring and the oil pump nose.... and gently push it on. Torque the camplate down...then I align the oil pump by turning the back tire around. Of course the plugs are out and the bike is in high gear. It's nice to have a helper while aligning the pump.

added later:
some guys will use the starter button to align the oil pump...but I have always done it by hand. There is a sequence to torqueing down the oil pump while you are aligning it at the same time.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

prodrag1320

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Either way. Just ensure you feel the "drop" (lack of any other word comes to mind)  and you'll know its in there.
Tom

les

itsafatboy

I use the yellow or whatever color upper pushrod tube o ring ,  little thicker ,  usually put on pump but either works

Wookie3011

Did mine per shop manual. Put ring in case with assembly lube to hold it into position and lube the entire ring. You will feel it go on while pressing it on.

les

Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 21, 2020, 04:52:39 AM
Did mine per shop manual. Put ring in case with assembly lube to hold it into position and lube the entire ring. You will feel it go on while pressing it on.

Could you please post a screen shot of that in the service manual?

Coyote

Quote from: les on June 21, 2020, 09:40:01 AM

Don't hold your breath on that one.  :wink:

jsachs1

For the nervous installers of the oil pump, this should make it easier, and make you more confident.
Lube O-ring.
Install O-ring in case.
Remove the gears from the oil pump.
Grab the empty oil pump housing, place your left thumb against the part of the pump that goes in the O-ring.
Right hand on the opposite side of the pump body.
Push the pump body in, with your thumb, and right hand. (you'll feel it go into the O-ring.
Gently re-install gears in pump.
John

Wookie3011

Honestly it's not a huge deal. You will know when you are good.

Wookie3011

Quote from: Coyote on June 21, 2020, 09:48:20 AM

LoL, good catch , I was wrong. I did it EXACTLY  how the manual said to do it. I figured there was a reason harley had to install it this way. Sorry.

Coyote

Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 21, 2020, 02:00:23 PM

LoL, good catch , I was wrong. I did it EXACTLY  how the manual said to do it. I figured there was a reason harley had to install it this way. Sorry.
That's not the Oring the OP is talking about. He's talking about the one on the oil pump, not the ones to the CAM plate

Coyote

I did a quick look and I don't even see it discussed in the 2016 Softail manual. It is in the 2006 and 2012 touring manual and both say to put the oring on the oil pump spigot.

smoserx1

QuoteEither way. Just ensure you feel the "drop" (lack of any other word comes to mind)  and you'll know its in there.

Exactly.  Last time I worked on mine I took some photos to help me next time.  Both the boss in the case and the oil pump have shoulders that stop the o-ring from moving and when installed the o-ring is going to be wedged between both of these shoulders.  Just dip the o-ring in oil before installing and also coat the oil pump scavenge tube with oil (or assy lube if you prefer).  My 99 SM also says to install the ring on the oil pump spigot, and I didn't even know that till just now.  Can't remember how I did it but the photos I have show the old o-ring stayed with the engine case after the pump was removed (yes I did use a new one). 

prodrag1320

one thing i will add,if its a stock or S&S pump with the tube that goes thru the O ring beveled,it dosnt really matter.but some of the aftermarket pumps (fueling & the fueling knock offs) dont have the bevel (have NO clue why not)you have to be VERY careful not to damage the O ring on install.when installing these we machine a bevel

les

That's why I asked, because I know the manual says to put it on the pump.  The only time I've ever cut one was when I put it in the hole first and not on the pump.  Yes, I successfully have not pinched the o-ring installing it in the casing first, but when I finally cut one and the bike sumped, I went to putting it on the pump (per the service manual).  I also found it to be a big deal when I had to go back in an do it right the second time.