April 23, 2024, 08:30:34 PM

News:

Starter ring gear ?

Started by Adam76, May 29, 2020, 06:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

May 29, 2020, 06:34:22 AM Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:09:05 AM by Adam76
Hi guys,  when is it time to replace the starter ring gear?  Is there so many miles or does it depend on your particular set up?

I have ordered an all balls starter clutch to help my stock battery and oem starter cope with the increase in compression to 9.5 with mild cam (no compression releases).

While I'm in there should I be replacing the starter ring gear at the same time?  Or does it just depend on its condition and any wear and tear? 
Not really sure I need either of them to be honest.

1996 Heritage Softail  25K miles
Thanks

chipthedonkey

It's just a big and generally non-sacrificial piece of metal.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

JW113

^^^ This ^^^

Even on my 200K mile bike, never had to replace a starter ring gear. Bendix drive, sure, but not because of the teeth.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

I think the most important piece in the whole puzzle is a good, strong battery.  I suspect that your stock starter, in good condition, can handle that compression just fine.
As said, no need to change the ring gear unless damaged..
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

The resistance to spin the motor is not the static compression ratio, exactly. It's the cold cranking pressure, i.e. how many psi when doing a compression test. Raising the static compression ratio is somewhat, if not mostly or even grossly, offset by more cam duration. 9.5:1 is not really that high compression, but you could have less CCP than a bone stock motor, depending what cam you are using.

It's one of those "don't worry about it until it becomes a problem" kind of deals. Hoss nailed it, the biggest problem with starters and ring gears and damage to them is a weak battery. The parts themselves are pretty tough.

-JW

Adam76

May 29, 2020, 05:25:19 PM #5 Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:29:35 PM by Adam76
Quote from: JW113 on May 29, 2020, 10:44:25 AM
The resistance to spin the motor is not the static compression ratio, exactly. It's the cold cranking pressure, i.e. how many psi when doing a compression test. Raising the static compression ratio is somewhat, if not mostly or even grossly, offset by more cam duration. 9.5:1 is not really that high compression, but you could have less CCP than a bone stock motor, depending what cam you are using.

It's one of those "don't worry about it until it becomes a problem" kind of deals. Hoss nailed it, the biggest problem with starters and ring gears and damage to them is a weak battery. The parts themselves are pretty tough.

-JW
Thanks  JW.  My ccp is 185 according to Big Boyz calculator

At what point do you think it's a good idea to upgrade the starter clutch?  Should I do it now as insurance,  or is it just not needed with my set up?
Thanks

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on May 29, 2020, 09:19:31 AM
I think the most important piece in the whole puzzle is a good, strong battery.  I suspect that your stock starter, in good condition, can handle that compression just fine.
As said, no need to change the ring gear unless damaged..
Thanks Hoss, so with my set up is an upgraded starter clutch needed?  (All Balls)  Is it good insurance?  I'm happy to put one in, but not if it's just a unneccesatry waste of money.
Thanks

JW113

Quote from: Adam76 on May 29, 2020, 05:25:19 PM

At what point do you think it's a good idea to upgrade the starter clutch?  Should I do it now as insurance,  or is it just not needed with my set up?
Thanks

185 is about what a bone stock motor makes. Ignore the starter clutch, you have no worry with it. Worry when you're trying to crank over a 124" with 11.5:1 compression and a stock battery...

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on May 29, 2020, 07:39:07 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on May 29, 2020, 05:25:19 PM

Thanks
185 is about what a bone stock motor makes. Ignore the starter clutch, you have no worry with it. Worry when you're trying to crank over a 124" with 11.5:1 compression and a stock battery...

-JW

Gotcha  😁

Thanks