shovel headlight cowl on an flhs evo. will it fit

Started by MortGarson, May 29, 2020, 08:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortGarson

shovel headlight cowl on an flhs evo. will it fit. Are the triple trees and forks the same width ? Or are the evo's wider

JW113

The problem is that the mount points on a Shovelhead are 6-3/4", and an Evo FL is 7-1/2. You could probably solve that, but the lower fork clamp will be hanging out the bottom of the nacelle.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

rageglide

Not to mention the triple trees are reversed on the FLHS and require a much large opening on the backside for clearance.  RoadKing nacelle will fit if you want that look

JW113

Good point Bob. Also, I didn't exactly pay attention to FLHS. On a Softail, Shovel forks are about the same width. Baggers like FLHS are about 1/4" or so wider, aren't they?

-JW

MortGarson

Thanks everyone for your help. Road king nacelle it is.
Cheers Glenn

rageglide

Quote from: JW113 on May 30, 2020, 06:02:44 PM
Good point Bob. Also, I didn't exactly pay attention to FLHS. On a Softail, Shovel forks are about the same width. Baggers like FLHS are about 1/4" or so wider, aren't they?

1/2" difference between Heritage and WideGlide/Bagger trees.  Heritage being narrower of the three and as I recall about the same as older Shovel trees.

JW113

Yep, Shovel nacelle will fit Evo Softail FL forks, width-wise, but mounting holes will need to be addressed. I managed it with my "FLXL" concept, and the mount holes aligned OK since the Ironhead steering head is about 3/4" shorter than the Evo big twins, and thus these Fatboy fork trees were closer together and the holes lined up.

[attach=0]

-JW