April 18, 2024, 02:09:15 PM

News:

Springer wheel

Started by Burnout, May 30, 2020, 09:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnout

May 30, 2020, 09:05:28 PM Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:51:01 PM by Burnout
Trying to decide what wheel to order.

The catalogs show a different hub for a springer, I thought a springer would use a regular wide glide wheel?

Without having two hubs in my hand I'm short of data. Other than single sided (all a 21 needs).
I have it mocked up with a 16" and a rotor and it looks like plenty of room for a caliper.
Does a springer hub have a different rotor offset?

It's a cheap no frills springer maybe a Gattling, DNA or a Paughco? Doesn't have tapered legs so it's not any kind of new.
It has slot head rocker bolts, jam nuts on the inside, with a non-forked rocker, I think plastic bushings, 3/4 axle x 10".
Anyone recognize? I'd like to service it and tighten it up.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Looks very similar to the Paughco narrow springer I had. I don't have the documentation anymore, it went with the bike, but I had a special hub for that front end that one of the guys at Paughco recommended. Even with that, I was having a hell of a time getting a disk mounted on it. The problem was not the disk, but the five disk bolt heads. The would interfere with the rocker pivot bolt/nut. I ground it down as far as I felt safe to, but was on the ragged edge of having enough nut threads to hold the pivot bolt. The real solution would be to flip the pivot bolt around, use a bushing on it, and have the nut on the outside. Never got around to it, just ran with no front brake. Far as I know, it's still that way.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

May 31, 2020, 04:53:17 PM #2 Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:16:04 PM by Burnout
Yes I did a narrow springer last and had similar difficulties.

The fat front tire fit on this one fine, so I am questioning the need for a special hub.

JW113

The special hub is to fit a brake disk. That's it. Give it a try with a stock HD hub, but I think you'll run out of room. But I love to be proven wrong.
:SM:

-JW

Racepres

Our Springer front wheel [the dirtBike lookin one] uses an offset... But, We have run a Standard [FXWG] wheel works... tight but, OK
BTW this is 21" wheels tho..

Burnout

Yes I have a standard wide hub 16" wheel mocked up on it right now and it looks like plenty of room.

Does a Springer hub have the rotor moved in towards the center?
Note: This might limit caliper selection to one sided for spoke clearance.

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on June 01, 2020, 07:27:11 AM
Yes I have a standard wide hub 16" wheel mocked up on it right now and it looks like plenty of room.

Rotor seems in exactly the same place on ours... the Wheel is laced offset...

Burnout

xlfan

Quote from: Burnout on June 01, 2020, 07:27:11 AM

Maybe the "springer" reference, is valid only for OE FXSTS 88-up, and OE FLSTS 97-up? And not for aftermarket springer forks?

Burnout

Yep there are lots of maybe's, I'm hoping for someone who has had both hubs in their hand and can point out a difference.

xlfan

I found a fxsts hub to be about 1/4" shorter on the none diskflanged side. The diskflange was located same place in relation to hubflange om both fxstc 21" and fxsts 21" hub.

Burnout

Ah, thanks. I wonder if that is to provide room for the OEM half moon hub cap/spacer crap? (that I will not be using)

xlfan

Spoked wheels are also differently offset at rim/hub relation [attach=0]

xlfan

Quote from: Burnout on June 01, 2020, 10:15:34 AM
Ah, thanks. I wonder if that is to provide room for the OEM half moon hub cap/spacer crap? (that I will not be using)

It might be to make room for the stock rocker setup compared to the stock hydraulic forks

Pete_Vit

Correct , my 96 21" has a different offset, be careful what you order, I ordered a 21" spoke from a company in MO, they assured me it would be OK, It was not, I had to get it re laced to make it fit correctly
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

JW113

Also, the FXSTS for FLSTS is not a narrow springer. So a lot more room to work with.

-JW

Pete_Vit

Quote from: JW113 on June 01, 2020, 12:36:39 PM
Also, the FXSTS for FLSTS is not a narrow springer. So a lot more room to work with.

-JW
:up: I can fit a fat tire in that Springer front end, just need  a different fender, or no fender
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch