Will TC96 inner cam bearng tools work on M8?

Started by howard2010, May 31, 2020, 02:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howard2010

I have the Jim's inner cam bearing removal and install tool for TC96, will they work on an M8? Thank you.

Ohio HD

les

Note that the twin cam inner cam bearing tool can be modified to work in the M8.  You just need a very good machinist.  Basically, you're making a "nose" along with the two "eyes" in the support plate, and also drilling new mounting holes of course.

That would be nice if JIMS and GG would make one single tool that does both engines.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Need the new alignment plate. And, make sure to measure depth before and after installation. Only once have I had to use a Socket along with the Installer to gain .003 due to nose depth. I've done many.
Tom

les

If you use the JIMS 5806, you don't need to measure depth.  It installs automatically to the correct depth, because of the stepped pusher plug.

Ohio HD

Quote from: les on June 02, 2020, 06:13:16 AM
If you use the JIMS 5806, you don't need to measure depth.  It installs automatically to the correct depth, because of the stepped pusher plug.

:up:   :up:

les

Fellas, it's a bit off topic but wanted to show you something to try to relieve you from having to measure bearing depth on the late model twin cams (1" inner cam bearings) if you don't have a stepped pusher (my silver 1" pusher is not stepped).  My brass bushing is .945" tall, and I just run the bearing in until it grounds on the support plate.  Done!

JMHD

I tried my TC96 bearing remover today on an old damaged  M8 case (just in case it didn't work) and it worked fine. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this? I also noticed that MBS manufacturing sells an installer for 49.99 and was wondering if anyone has tried it? Thanks.

JMHD

chipthedonkey

Quote from: JMHD on June 12, 2020, 07:55:49 PM
I tried my TC96 bearing remover today on an old damaged  M8 case (just in case it didn't work) and it worked fine. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this? I also noticed that MBS manufacturing sells an installer for 49.99 and was wondering if anyone has tried it? Thanks.

The M8 and the 96" vintage Twin Cams both used the same inner cam bearing (HD 9215).  So while some difference in the case on the backside could conceivably interrupt the blind puller from getting hold of the bearing your test shows that's not the case.  Good to know.  Install tools that line up on the outside of the cam chest would have other issues of course but the puller is a simpler matter.  Thanks for checking this out to confirm what I'd hoped would work.

JMHD

Quote from: 2Lane on June 13, 2020, 12:51:52 PM
Quote from: JMHD on June 12, 2020, 07:55:49 PM

The M8 and the 96" vintage Twin Cams both used the same inner cam bearing (HD 9215).  So while some difference in the case on the backside could conceivably interrupt the blind puller from getting hold of the bearing your test shows that's not the case.  Good to know.  Install tools that line up on the outside of the cam chest would have other issues of course but the puller is a simpler matter.  Thanks for checking this out to confirm what I'd hoped would work.
Your very welcome.  The one thing i noticed,  wether it is a problem or not was the top of the case above the bearing is not as flat as the bottom so a slight chamfer on the the tube part of the tool may or may not be required,  it pulled out of the case no problem.  In the one picture you can see the marks where the tool rests on the painted surface in the case. I may or may not chamfer mine. Hope this helps.

chipthedonkey

Quote from: JMHD on June 13, 2020, 12:59:49 PM

Your very welcome.  The one thing i noticed,  wether it is a problem or not was the top of the case above the bearing is not as flat as the bottom so a slight chamfer on the the tube part of the tool may or may not be required,  it pulled out of the case no problem.  In the one picture you can see the marks where the tool rests on the painted surface in the case. I may or may not chamfer mine. Hope this helps.

Good catch.  With the same bearing case difference would be what to watch for closely.  If the tool did have to be relieved slightly in one area that wouldn't effect it working on the flat surface inside the 2nd gen Twin Cam.  So you'd still be all good.  :up:

JMHD

Quote from: 2Lane on June 13, 2020, 01:48:18 PM
Quote from: JMHD on June 13, 2020, 12:59:49 PM

Good catch.  With the same bearing case difference would be what to watch for closely.  If the tool did have to be relieved slightly in one area that wouldn't effect it working on the flat surface inside the 2nd gen Twin Cam.  So you'd still be all good.  :up:
Exactly,  it wouldn't take much of a relief.   :up: :beer:

moose

now to have someone that has both to post the specs to alter for both to work
Moose aka Glenn-

les

Quote from: moose on June 14, 2020, 03:55:13 AM
now to have someone that has both to post the specs to alter for both to work

I think I asked that a ways back even before I bought the 5806.  After I got the 5806, I gave it to the Indy I frequent for them to take a shot at modifying their own twin cam plate.  That's what they did, using my 5806 has a model.

I don't mind buying the 5806 because I've used my twin cam bearing tool so many times that it's paid for itself many times.  (The white boxes are almost black from the dirty hands.)  I'm on my way to that with my 5806.

As a bit of trivia, my twin cam tool is a Kent-Moore.  I had a "connection" with a semi-local dealership (now closed) where I could buy H-D Kent-Moore tools.