April 23, 2024, 07:59:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Can I get away with stock pushrods on this mild set up?

Started by Adam76, June 01, 2020, 04:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Hey guys,
Just reading a lot of folks re-using  their oem pushrods when doing a mild can change, pistons and compression bump. Some say adjustable much better... Obviously depends on if you're milling the heads.

For the everyday street bike can I safely get away with re-using my low mileage HD pushrods with the build below?  (I will be coming through the to end anyway so no need to cut the pushrods).

EV27
Cylinders bored and honed to fit a set of 9.5 forged pistons
Base of cylinders trued and heads just minimally faced and just cleaned up.
.030 HG

I wouldn't mind saving the $$ of the adjustable if I don't really need then and then I also dont have the adjustment of each one to worry about.

Any thoughts appreciated.  👍

xlfan

If base circle is the same on stock cam and the EV27, you're good to go.

Close enough comparison with a standard vernier caliper.

Racepres

The answer is Yes... Using the various Andrews cams that are Spec.ed that way.. and I consider Stockers Preferable.. No Weak point, like at the threaded portion.

Deye76

OE pushrods OK with EV27, don't forget to install new lifters.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Racepres

Quote from: Deye76 on June 01, 2020, 06:09:58 AM
Depending on Mileage.. O.E. lifters are about as good as Any... better than most... Learn to check them yerself..

xlfan

Quote from: Racepres on June 01, 2020, 06:21:30 AM
Depending on Mileage.. O.E. lifters are about as good as Any... better than most... Learn to check them yerself..

Is it possible at all, to check the lifter roller before it has obviously failed?

Racepres

Quote from: xlfan on June 01, 2020, 06:40:44 AM
Quote from: Racepres on June 01, 2020, 06:21:30 AM

Is it possible at all, to check the lifter roller before it has obviously failed?
Takes a bit of Experience, and a Clean degreased Lifter.. feel enough of them... it becomes obvious..
Someone who can speak more eloquently than I ... may be able to Actually explain it... I will say... if the Wheel will contact the lifter body at all or even close... the rollers/axle are Bad... Some New ones I will Not install..
Bleed down??? I have only really known certainly the Bleed down is too short.. or too much, when they run Noisy...especially when hot..

xlfan

Easy to understand your explanation, thanks.

What I mean, was that you won't feel anything wrong before the hardened surfaces of rollers and races gives in, and then it escalates very quickly.

Deye76

"feel enough of them... it becomes obvious.."
:emoGroan: Until 3 days after you felt (LMAO) them,  one did several hundred dollars damage,  plus down time. For a $120.00 for quality lifters from WFOLarry, don't step over a dime to pick up a penny, Adam. Replace 'em.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

With the slight machining being done to the heads and cylinder bases, is there any concern Adam should have using the stock rods?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

xlfan

The stock pushrods are based on a preload of about .100", according to Hillside, he has used a preload of .140"-.150" for years, so that should not be an issue.

Hossamania

Adam76

Thanks,  yes have a set of Johnson  lifters ready to go.   :up:

Adam76

Quote from: xlfan on June 01, 2020, 11:38:09 AM
The stock pushrods are based on a preload of about .100", according to Hillside, he has used a preload of .140"-.150" for years, so that should not be an issue.
Thanks  for bringing that up Hoss, and thanks for the answer to that xlfan....... Was a good question and good to know it should be ok.
I'm only getting the bases of the cylinders trued while they they are getting bored for the new pistons, and maybe get the heads faced just to make sure i have a perfectly flat surface. Hopefully not too much will need to be taken off.
Cheers

Adam76

Obviously you can't set preload with stock pushrods,  so how do you know what preload you and up with? How do you measure it?

xlfan

You can assemble the top end without pushrod tubes and measure the piston travel of the lifter with lifter at the bottom of cam lobe (valve closed).

jsachs1

I ALWAYS use adjustable push rods with any, including even a minimal amount of mods. :up:
John

Adam76

Quote from: jsachs1 on June 02, 2020, 02:22:32 PM
I ALWAYS use adjustable push rods with any, including even a minimal amount of mods. :up:
John
Thanks John, appreciate your input.
Could you please explain why so I can learn?
Thanks  :up:

FSG

Quote from: Adam76 on June 02, 2020, 02:56:18 AM
Obviously you can't set preload with stock pushrods,  so how do you know what preload you and up with? How do you measure it?

Homemade Tool section   ............... 

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,61486.0.html

FSG

if all you're doing is a cleanup and a 30 thou HG then you've no problems with stock PRs

heck back in the day we'd cut 50 off the heads and chuck in an EV27 and off we'd go

FSG

the 200 thou of a lifter is NOMINAL as is the 100 thou STOCK preload, it close but don't bet the farm on it

there are variances in everything, head thickness, gaskets, cylinder length, etc, etc and not to forget expansion (growth) due to heat

HD did the math based on theoretical dimensions and came up with the theoretical PR length that would put the Lifter at the 100 preload point

the lifter then had travel either way to take up any variances

so are the lifters actually in the middle of travel ............  NOT a CHANCE in HELL and no 2 lifters in an engine are going to be loaded the same but they're close and that's all that's required

I agree with John, adjustables and SB are my go to   :SM:

Adam76

Quote from: FSG on June 02, 2020, 04:20:05 PM
the 200 thou of a lifter is NOMINAL as is the 100 thou STOCK preload, it close but don't bet the farm on it

there are variances in everything, head thickness, gaskets, cylinder length, etc, etc and not to forget expansion (growth) due to heat

HD did the math based on theoretical dimensions and came up with the theoretical PR length that would put the Lifter at the 100 preload point

the lifter then had travel either way to take up any variances

so are the lifters actually in the middle of travel ............  NOT a CHANCE in HELL and no 2 lifters in an engine are going to be loaded the same but they're close and that's all that's required

I agree with John, adjustables and SB are my go to   :SM:

Thanks FSG.  That's a great exclamation for me to picture in my mind.   Sorry,  but what are "SB's?" 

FSG

Hossamania

The main reason given for not using adjustables is expense. The rest of the work being done isn't cheap, nor is it over the top expensive. Is saving $200 worth wondering if they are "close enough"? Because if they aren't, it gets way more expensive.
As far as a weak point in adjustable pushrods, I have SE rods in mine, they have at least 90,000 trouble free miles, never been touched, and have the absolute hell beat out of them, over revved, clutch drop launches, you name it, this motor has had it happen. Do some fail? Sure. But certainly not enough to be a concern.

Typed after the last two responses.

PoorUB

I have run adjustable, PITA as far as I am concerned. I order Smith Brothers, made to length, and measure the length with FSG's tools in the link he posted.

Smith Bros. will send out orders the same day and you will get hem in 2-3 days unless you are overseas.

I had to laugh last time I put in Smith Bros. I measured them, ordered a set, then realized they were stock lengths that I came up with. :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!