Can I get away with stock pushrods on this mild set up?

Started by Adam76, June 01, 2020, 04:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on June 02, 2020, 04:38:41 PM
The main reason given for not using adjustables is expense. The rest of the work being done isn't cheap, nor is it over the top expensive. Is saving $200 worth wondering if they are "close enough"? Because if they aren't, it gets way more expensive.

Thanks Hoss,  that was exactly my original question. Money / ease / reliability of both methods.

Thanks everyone. I have found a guy with a set of new in the packet S&S adjustable that I can get for a good price.  Might just do it to take any guess work out.
Cheers

Adam76

Quote from: PoorUB on June 02, 2020, 04:45:22 PM
I have run adjustable, PITA as far as I am concerned. I order Smith Brothers, made to length, and measure the length with FSG's tools in the link he posted.

Smith Bros. will send out orders the same day and you will get hem in 2-3 days unless you are overseas.

I had to laugh last time I put in Smith Bros. I measured them, ordered a set, then realized they were stock lengths that I came up with. :banghead:
Haha... yeah that's a "Doh" moment. 

Adam76

Quote from: Adam76 on June 02, 2020, 05:28:19 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on June 02, 2020, 04:45:22 PM
I have run adjustable, PITA as far as I am concerned. I order Smith Brothers, made to length, and measure the length with FSG's tools in the link he posted.

Smith Bros. will send out orders the same day and you will get hem in 2-3 days unless you are overseas.

I had to laugh last time I put in Smith Bros. I measured them, ordered a set, then realized they were stock lengths that I came up with. :banghead:

Yes, perfect fit would be nice. 

Haha... ordering stock length, yeah that's a "Doh" moment.

jsachs1

Quote from: Adam76 on June 02, 2020, 03:43:48 PM
Quote from: jsachs1 on June 02, 2020, 02:22:32 PM
I ALWAYS use adjustable push rods with any, including even a minimal amount of mods. :up:
John
Thanks John, appreciate your input.
Could you please explain why so I can learn?
Thanks  :up:
When you're in the business of mods, I can't chance having a problem by trying to save a few bucks. With adjustable P/rods I know where I'm at, and don't have to worry about coulda', woulda', shouda'. :wink:
John

JW113

I use them for one reason: I hate pulling the tanks and rocker boxes to get to the cam & tappets!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 03, 2020, 02:46:39 PM
I use them for one reason: I hate pulling the tanks and rocker boxes to get to the cam & tappets!

-JW
Yes totally agree..... That's what they're mate for.  But in my case I don't plan on going back into the cam chest for a long time hopefully 😁

Adam76

Quote from: jsachs1 on June 03, 2020, 02:08:22 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on June 02, 2020, 03:43:48 PM
Quote from: jsachs1 on June 02, 2020, 02:22:32 PM
I ALWAYS use adjustable push rods with any, including even a minimal amount of mods. :up:
John
Thanks John, appreciate your input.
Could you please explain why so I can learn?
Thanks  :up:
When you're in the business of mods, I can't chance having a problem by trying to save a few bucks. With adjustable P/rods I know where I'm at, and don't have to worry about coulda', woulda', shouda'. :wink:
John

Yes, fair point,
Thanks

WML57

Adam, S&S makes adjustable pushrods in quick install style (no need to remove rocker boxes to install or remove) and standard adjustables that do require removing the rocker boxes.

Adam76

Quote from: WML57 on June 03, 2020, 03:32:54 PM
Adam, S&S makes adjustable pushrods in quick install style (no need to remove rocker boxes to install or remove) and standard adjustables that do require removing the rocker boxes.
Yes, thanks. I have the top end off for new pistons anyway so it doesn't matter. Cheers.

JW113

Quote from: Adam76 on June 03, 2020, 03:30:52 PM
But in my case I don't plan on going back into the cam chest for a long time hopefully 😁

:hyst:  :hyst:  :hyst:

Nope. None of us do.

:hyst:

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 03, 2020, 04:11:04 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on June 03, 2020, 03:30:52 PM
But in my case I don't plan on going back into the cam chest for a long time hopefully 😁

:hyst:  :hyst:  :hyst:

Nope. None of do.

:hyst:

-JW

Too true 😆   but I'm sure I'll have run out of money by then.  I'm kind of like - do it once, do it right.

JW113

Been there, done that, take my word or not that "if/when" you need to go back in, you'll be saying "why oh why did I not put this thing together with adjustables when I had it apart last time"....
:kick:

-JW

JW113

OH, and let me add... 

By Adjustables, I mean the "Quick Install" or "E-Z Install" type. The plain old adjustables do not shrink far enough to get them in without popping the rocker boxes, so you'd be no better off than with stock pushrods.

-JW

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on June 04, 2020, 08:39:38 AM
OH, and let me add... 

By Adjustables, I mean the "Quick Install" or "E-Z Install" type. The plain old adjustables do not shrink far enough to get them in without popping the rocker boxes, so you'd be no better off than with stock pushrods.

-JW

Can you adjust the preload with plain old adjustables? If so, does that mean that they are slightly better than non-adjustable stock rods if a new cam or slight milling was performed?
Can they be installed by pulling the lifter blocks?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

Yes you can adjust the tappet preload, or plunger centering, to compensate for any dimensional change from head milling, base milling, gasket thickness, etc. But as far as installation, the non-"EZ" type are just like the stock solid pushrods. Have to remove tanks, remove rocker box tops, remove/loosen the lower rocker box to take the preload off the rocker arms, pull the rocker arm pivots, and remove or pull aside the rocker arms. Then reverse all that to put it back together again. And hope you didn't mess up a gasket and create a leak, which means you get to do it all over again. I suppose some guys just love doing all that, personally I hate it.
:SM:
Especially when you can just whittle the pushrods down and pull them out, bing-bada-bang.

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 04, 2020, 03:23:30 PM
Yes you can adjust the tappet preload, or plunger centering, to compensate for any dimensional change from head milling, base milling, gasket thickness, etc. But as far as installation, the non-"EZ" type are just like the stock solid pushrods. Have to remove tanks, remove rocker box tops, remove/loosen the lower rocker box to take the preload off the rocker arms, pull the rocker arm pivots, and remove or pull aside the rocker arms. Then reverse all that to put it back together again. And hope you didn't mess up a gasket and create a leak, which means you get to do it all over again. I suppose some guys just love doing all that, personally I hate it.
Especially when you can just whittle the pushrods down and pull them out, bing-bada-bang.

-JW
Thanks JW, yes I understood the difference between adjustable and EZ install. 

With the ev27 being on the noisy side, will being able to adjust the preload / plunger centering make any difference in quietening down the noisy valvetrain? 
Thanks

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania
Can you adjust the preload with plain old adjustables? If so, does that mean that they are slightly better than non-adjustable stock rods if a new cam or slight milling was performed?
Can they be installed by pulling the lifter blocks?

Thanks Hoss, that's a great point.   :up:

FSG

I'd also look at drilling the tops of the PR Tubes to 5/8" and perhaps a set of Rocker Lockers while your there

if you check the PRs is there any sign of wear where perhaps they have bee touching/rubbing on the tubes?

JW113

Quote from: Adam76 on June 04, 2020, 03:45:01 PM
With the ev27 being on the noisy side, will being able to adjust the preload / plunger centering make any difference in quietening down the noisy valvetrain? 

EV27 noisy, compared to what? Wood? Lieneweber? Not even close. Not sure who you're talking to, but the EV27 is not a noisy cam. And no, adjustable pushrods don't have that much effect on valve train noise. In fact, if you don't clearance the pushrod tubes such as FSG suggests, or cutting the bottom of the inner tube back a bit, you may end up with more noise from adjustable pushrods.

Or, ride with earplugs. Like me.

-JW

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 04, 2020, 04:33:56 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on June 04, 2020, 03:45:01 PM

EV27 noisy, compared to what? Wood? Lieneweber? Not even close. Not sure who you're talking to, but the EV27 is not a noisy cam. And no, adjustable pushrods don't have that much effect on valve train noise. In fact, if you don't clearance the pushrod tubes such as FSG suggests, or cutting the bottom of the inner tube back a bit, you may end up with more noise from adjustable pushrods.

Or, ride with earplugs. Like me.

-JW

Oh,  ok.... cool.   I assumed more aggressive ramps = more noise. 

Looks like I'm just going to put the oem PRs back in as I have the top end off anyways. Can you please tell me a little more about the pushrod cover interference and the cutting back you mentioned?

Thanks

JW113

If you're going to use the stock pushrods, don't worry about it. You have nothing to worry about.

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 04, 2020, 08:36:49 PM
If you're going to use the stock pushrods, don't worry about it. You have nothing to worry about.

-JW

Ok. Cheers.  👍

JW113

EZ install are not about now, they're about next time. Is the Mrs. giving you a ration of grief about all the money you're spending on "that bitch, that whore" out in the garage?
:wink:

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 04, 2020, 08:50:06 PM
EZ install are not about now, they're about next time. Is the Mrs. giving you a ration of grief about all the money you're spending on "that bitch, that whore" out in the garage?
:wink:

-JW
Mistress JW...... Mistress.   And no, I'm not getting any grief from the Mrs about the money - she's worse than I am.  She's just happy I'm out in the workshop.    :wink: