April 19, 2024, 08:25:16 AM

News:

Pressure in fuel tank

Started by motorplex88, June 01, 2020, 12:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorplex88

I'll thread a long bolt in it tomorrow and see if there is any flex and then re-check for leaks. If all seems good I might put some off that seal all on it, prime and paint the repaired area. Rattle can will be fine as it's not seen. Anything more and it's new tank time
They just ain't worth it.

kd

A fine fluxed bronze rod then silver solder over all of the welds and leaks. It's tougher than regular solder yet still flexible.  Then clean an buff the surface with fine grit to bring up fresh metal. Hot iron a layer of lead solder over the complete work area. You'll have steel welds sealed with silver solder and backed up with lead.   This has worked well for me on unbelievably bad tank holes. The lower heat used in the silver and lead solder doesn't pull contaminants into the puddle.
KD

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on June 03, 2020, 02:12:30 PM
Hey I'm always up for information exchange. So what is your method?

-JW
Utilizing Stock, The rule is; do Not put anything in any kind of Bind.. bend tabs, add spacers... whatever it takes to Not push, pull, twist..  Never failed me yet...
Aftermarket crap.... Good luck!  best advice? Use O.E.

JW113

Yeah, that's essentially what I do as well. Shim the tanks to the frame mount points. Luckily I have stock tanks, but finding OE is getting harder and harder. No doubt certain aftermarket brands are garbage, but are there no quality tanks being offered by anyone? I haven't really looked. The tanks on my Indian are not stock, but in fact far superior to the stock thin steel soldered OE tanks. They are heavy gauge water formed steel, and TIG welded. There is a far bigger market for HD parts than old Indians, so why no similar made tanks available?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

motorplex88

Well here is the ugly. Impurities abound but holds about 10 psi. I'm tired of phuckin with it and will put it back together. As KD mentioned I thought it would be a good idea to put some bronze rod on it but crap just keeps sifting through.  I've been here before. Know when to say when. I'll put on some self etching primer and and a little black and see how long it lasts. It does seem strong at least. I see new tanks in my future. Hope I can find something decent. Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. I'll post the finished product when it's all back together.

motorplex88

This should have been with last post :emoGroan:

76shuvlinoff

Had a leaking crack on an aftermarket FLH tank at the upper rear mount. Cleaned it up the best I could, put a Napa gas tank patch over it then JB weld over that.  It had fresh paint and I wanted to ride. I had pressure tested before the paint job for 7 psi, figured I was good. I planned on fixing it right the next winter. That was 13 years ago. :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

crock

It may be blasphemous, but I converted my 73 flh to flat side tanks about 10 years ago. https://www.jpcycles.com/product/7200055/biker-s-choice-flatside-tank-economy-mounting-kit?redirectedKeyword=7200055&totalResult=1
bought a set of oe tanks from a wreck (actually 2 different wrecks one from each side) and never looked back
Crock

Racepres

Quote from: crock on June 05, 2020, 04:54:35 AM
It may be blasphemous, but I converted my 73 flh to flat side tanks about 10 years ago. https://www.jpcycles.com/product/7200055/biker-s-choice-flatside-tank-economy-mounting-kit?redirectedKeyword=7200055&totalResult=1
bought a set of oe tanks from a wreck (actually 2 different wrecks one from each side) and never looked back
But... They Never look quite Right...IMO
Learn to Mount the O.E. and Carry on..
Oh... I like the Flatsides on the 1985 1986 Models!!! But the Frame is a bit Different.. [LOL, Understatement]

crock

Quote from: Racepres on June 05, 2020, 05:11:58 AM
Quote from: crock on June 05, 2020, 04:54:35 AM
But... They Never look quite Right...IMO
Learn to Mount the O.E. and Carry on..
Oh... I like the Flatsides on the 1985 1986 Models!!! But the Frame is a bit Different.. [LOL, Understatement]

hey are a little different. Had to modify the dash a little as I recall but no one has noticed it but me
Crock

Hossamania

Oh they notice, they are just polite enough not to say anything...      :wink:
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hbkeith

Quote from: a_disalvo on June 02, 2020, 08:10:38 AM
Permatex makes an epoxy just for fuel tanks, I have used it with excellent results. Frank
I used this on a old truck with damn near a stream of gas coming out , lasted the year I had the truck

kd

Quote from: motorplex88 on June 04, 2020, 12:00:16 PM
Well here is the ugly. Impurities abound but holds about 10 psi. I'm tired of phuckin with it and will put it back together. As KD mentioned I thought it would be a good idea to put some bronze rod on it but crap just keeps sifting through.  I've been here before. Know when to say when. I'll put on some self etching primer and and a little black and see how long it lasts. It does seem strong at least. I see new tanks in my future. Hope I can find something decent. Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. I'll post the finished product when it's all back together.

If it's not too late, consider cleaning that surface up and using a hot iron to sweat a solder cove on that.  The hot iron won't pull anything into the puddle and it will bridge the small spots to guarantee a no leak seal.
KD

motorplex88

In the words of Buck Owens, "Together Again". I deferred from the solder and sealant and will see what happens. With a little shimming here and there, things mounted with no stress or pulling of the mounting points. I should have showed  the other horrible repair work on the other tabs and you would know why I'm not spending any more time on these cockroaches.

JW113

Looking good! Nice truck too. '62?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

motorplex88

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

david lee

crock

Quote from: Hossamania on June 05, 2020, 06:23:41 AM