March 28, 2024, 07:09:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sealed Wire wheels with tubeless tires.. issues?

Started by hattitude, June 05, 2020, 12:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

I am thinking about replacing the wheels on my 2003 Heritage...

I like the look of the wire wheels on that bike, so I would replace them with another wire wheel.

I am thinking about using DNA Wheels for the replacements. Their website says, "WHEEL IS SEALED FOR A TUBELESS APPLICATION"....

I haven't got a problem with tubes, but I started thinking about it....

Are there any issues with the technology used to seal wire wheels to allow for tubeless tires...?

I know one advantage with a tubeless tire, is the ability to plug it roadside...

Since I've never considered it before, thought I'd ask about others experiences...

Sealed wire wheels with tubeless tires... good idea, bad idea... ???

chipthedonkey

I've got 100 spoke American Wire wheels front and back on my Road King and a DNA 21" on the front of the FXR.  All tubeless.  Road King's wheels are eight years old now.  DNA on the FXR just over two.  All have behaved well and continue to look fine.

The only thing I don't consider with them that I might with a standard wheel is any of the bead type balancing products.  For no reason other than it gives me the minor heebie-jeebies thinking about the beads rolling around the sealing band inside all the time.  Might not be a problem and I never bothered to research it.  Just didn't want to even think about it.  And, yeah, it's a comfort (small one, but still a comfort) to know I can quickly plug and blow on the side of the road if need be.  I'm too f'ing old to deal with pulling a wheel and changing a tube on a hot highway.

hattitude

Quote from: 2Lane on June 05, 2020, 12:38:57 PM
I've got 100 spoke American Wire wheels front and back on my Road King and a DNA 21" on the front of the FXR.  All tubeless.  Road King's wheels are eight years old now.  DNA on the FXR just over two.  All have behaved well and continue to look fine.

The only thing I don't consider with them that I might with a standard wheel is any of the bead type balancing products.  For no reason other than it gives me the minor heebie-jeebies thinking about the beads rolling around the sealing band inside all the time.  Might not be a problem and I never bothered to research it.  Just didn't want to even think about it.  And, yeah, it's a comfort (small one, but still a comfort) to know I can quickly plug and blow on the side of the road if need be.  I'm too f'ing old to deal with pulling a wheel and changing a tube on a hot highway.

Thanks for sharing your experience...

That's a good run with no issues....

calgary56

Running a DNA Specialties tubeless front at the moment, rear on order, no issues
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

biggzed

I ran DNA 60 spoke front and rear on my 07 Road Glide for at least 40k miles. I eventually did break some spokes in the front wheel and had to cut out the rubber they use to seal the rim so the spoke could be replaced. It was not tubeless after that. I ended up trading them off. As far as I know the rear is still tubeless and running fine.

Zach

hattitude

Thanks for all the input..

Apparently, the spoke seal seems to last & work well...

Appowner

08 FXSTC with OEM 21" Spoke on the front from day one.  And the OEM 18" spoke rear for about 7 years now.  Not a glitch.

a_disalvo

Just had a tube installed in my Ride Rite rear wheel. The valve stem had been replaced 5 times, wheel sent back for "lifetime" warranty, held hostage until I paid them $50.00 for shipping and handling. Indy took out about 3/8" silicone sealer from center of wheel where spokes entered rim, not pretty. Waiting for the shoe to fall on the front rim!!! Would NOT recommend Ride Rite to anyone. Frank

Ratfade

I have tubeless tires and wire wheels on three bikes. Two are the OEM wheels. Never a problem with any of them.

PoorUB

Not defending the manufacturers, but rarely will anyone cover freight on a warranty item. $50 seems a bit stiff for shipping but probably not too far off.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

borno

I want to go tubeless on my front, the rear is a solid disc. Last time I did the tire I tried some seal all, but I didn't think it was sticking good enough and peeled it all off. Next time I think I may try some boat life caulk. That was the stuff way back in my marina days. A lot easier to plug a tire if I pick up a nail.  :smile:

gracie

I sealed the stock wheels on my '05 springer with tubes of grey silicon years ago.  I wanted to be able to repair a flat tire while on a trip.   Have never had a flat and and only had to add air a few times.  No noticeable vibration either.

hattitude

Thanks for all the input...

I was unaware that so many tubeless spoke wheels were out on the road... glad to hear many have had no issues..

calif phil

It's a bit harder to mount tires on the sealed rims as the drop center is now filled with silicone.  Not impossible but something to keep in mind. 

hattitude

Quote from: calif phil on June 09, 2020, 07:06:22 AM
It's a bit harder to mount tires on the sealed rims as the drop center is now filled with silicone.  Not impossible but something to keep in mind.

:up: