April 24, 2024, 09:27:44 PM

News:

Tools for mainshaft seal replacement

Started by atengnr, June 06, 2020, 07:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atengnr

Hey all, could someone summarize the special tools that I need for replacing the mainshaft seals on my 82 fxr?

Thanks

Hybredhog

June 06, 2020, 08:42:53 AM #1 Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:49:27 AM by jeffscycle
    Jim's makes a "seal installer" press cup that works with their long main sprocket nut socket. The later in my opinion is a must have to get the sprocket nut tight enough. I machined out my own seal pusher, and is useful for a lot of things. But Georges Garage has better prices & for most people just as good. Having a lathe will pay for itself 10 fold for the amount of tools you can make.  Once you pull out the seal race, a conventional seal puller hook can be use to remove the old seal. But sometimes that seal race can be rusted onto the drive gear & a bitch to pull, be careful with the race, those are an odd & specific size. Not sure if it readily available for old chain drives, but replacing it would be a good thing.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

atengnr

thanks alot.  And what tools do I need for inner primary removal?  Just the chain locking tool, clutch hub puller?

Thanks

Hillside Motorcycle

Many times, the main seal is not the leaker.
It is usually the bronze babbited main drive gear bushing that has lost it's fitment, on the mainshaft OD.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on June 08, 2020, 03:51:55 AM
It is usually the bronze babbited main drive gear bushing that has lost it's fitment, on the mainshaft OD.

yup,pretty much what we see here too

Racepres

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on June 08, 2020, 03:51:55 AM
On a 5 speed FXR??

Racepres

Quote from: atengnr on June 07, 2020, 03:03:59 PM
thanks alot.  And what tools do I need for inner primary removal?  Just the chain locking tool, clutch hub puller?

Thanks
Your '82 is just like a 4-speed Shovelhead as regards the primary side... You tube has videos showing Tools and procedures for Clutch removal..

atengnr

Dang, it seems that with all the special tools needed (clutch hub tool, bearing race puller, sprocket nut, seal installers, it may be cheaper for me to have an indy do this work.  I have called one locally and he thought he could do the work for < $500.  Does anyone rent these tools?

Thanks