April 19, 2024, 09:51:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Transmission Oil Change Concerns

Started by Jaystn62, June 07, 2020, 11:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaystn62

Changing all three holes on 2016 Road Glide Special. I pulled the transmission drain plug and found this on the magnet. I included pictures. The one with the nut is a #10 nut laying beside the three flakes I found. Did this for reference to size. Bike has just shy of 3,200 miles on it. I pretty sure oil had been changed before. Last person put thread tape on plugs. I've only had bike since mid April. Decided it was time to change all three and start from scratch and install Rocker Lockers. Should I be concerned or am I paranoid as usual? Thanks in advance.

[attach=0,msg1350284] 

[attach=1,msg1350284]

[attach=2,msg1350284]

les

First of all, you never need thread tape on the plug unless someone is not doing it right.  With lube and a careful install, the o-ring seats perfectly.

Looks to me like someone dropped that nut into the dip stick hole.  Time to put that gear set out and inspect/repair the damage.

les

Oh, ok.  Sorry, I got it.  You are using the nut for size reference.  Still, there should not be those metal chunks on the drain plug.

02roadcling

Looks good to me. Do you also change the tranny fluid in your car and truck every 3200 miles? Fill it up with decent gear oil and leave it be for a few years.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Jaystn62

Getting ready to drop Redline w/ Shockproof in it and see what happens. I have to say it shifted and sounded fine. Actually I'd say it's about the best shifting Harley I've ever owned. Worlds better than the 2017 Fat Boy I traded in.

Hossamania

Any warranty on it? If not, run it until it breaks. If so, nothing will probably be done until it breaks anyway. Run it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jaystn62

June 07, 2020, 05:54:17 PM #6 Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 06:25:54 PM by Jaystn62
Quote from: Hossamania on June 07, 2020, 05:24:19 PM
Any warranty on it? If not, run it until it breaks. If so, nothing will probably be done until it breaks anyway. Run it.
Hehehe.......That's one way to look at it. No warranty. I do have roadside assistance through my insurance in case it does break. If it breaks I'll save up and upgrade. Also I have never used Red Line products before. Didn't know the tranny oil looked similar to Pepto. Thanks.

MikeL

Quote from: 02roadcling on June 07, 2020, 12:31:15 PM
Looks good to me. Do you also change the tranny fluid in your car and truck every 3200 miles? Fill it up with decent gear oil and leave it be for a few years.

cling
:agree:

MIKE

smoserx1

I would change it, run it 5k and change again, and if you get a clean plug the second time I would go to 20k intervals.  I have never gotten that on my bike but I have a 5 speed and they have straight cut gears.  I don't know if helical gears are more prone to shedding particles, but about 6 months ago I changed the fluid in a Ford Ranger I have and you wouldn't believe the amount of shavings on that drain plug.  However all the videos I saw on that indicated it was normal and to be expected, but I don't know where all that stuff comes from.  Sure the blocker rings in a synchromesh transmission are wear items, but they are made of brass and not magnetic, or so I think.

les

The helical gears in the cruise drive do/should not be shedding that sort of metal.  It's not normal.

RTMike

Jaystn62

I'm going to run it a couple thousand miles and recheck. If need be I'll upgrade then.

iiggii

change it every year its cheap and easy .peice of mind.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

That's not uncommon. See what your next change shows. If it's present again, pull the Gearset and inspect. Rebuild Kits are Cheap compared to new.
Tom

Jaystn62

I put the Pepto Bismol transmission lube in it and have about 300 miles on it and seems fine. I'll get another qt and change at the 2000 to 2500 mark. If it looks good then I'll leave it alone for a couple years.