May 03, 2024, 04:06:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Long bolt primary thread repair

Started by FLDavetrain, June 21, 2020, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLDavetrain

Finishing up a fat clutch rod install and of course the last primary cover long bolt stripped out the threads. I have a 1/4 20 helicoil kit but not sure if they're right for this hole, would appreciate some advice on best repair product/set up. Don't want to screw up the case. Thanks
currently 510ci on tap

Scotty

chipthedonkey

Or to just answer the question here, yeah, you can use a helicoil insert there.  Time Sert is an option too.  Though on the smaller hole like that I'd go helicoil.  It's a relatively common thing; especially if you're regularly maintaining / tinkering with the bike.

FLDavetrain

Should the insert be a certain length?
currently 510ci on tap

smoserx1

Ideally it should be the length that the bolt threads go into the case, or so I would think.  See if you can measure how deep it goes in

Ohio HD

Bolt length minus primary cover and inner thickness equals depth of helicoil.

FLDavetrain

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 21, 2020, 07:07:08 PM

Needs room to break off the tab thing as I remember so not sure insert should be entire hole depth. Generally was hoping for a direct answer like 1D, 1.5D, 2D length but no worries I've made the decision guys, carry on helping other fellow bikers
currently 510ci on tap

Ohio HD

Quote from: FLDavetrain on June 22, 2020, 05:14:57 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on June 21, 2020, 07:07:08 PM

Needs room to break off the tab thing as I remember so not sure insert should be entire hole depth. Generally was hoping for a direct answer like 1D, 1.5D, 2D length but no worries I've made the decision guys, carry on helping other fellow bikers

If you check the case, I'm sure you'll see the depth of the hole is deeper than the fastener will use.....