Power Vision failure to prepare ECU

Started by aharp, June 08, 2020, 04:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aharp

Having a problem with (what is basically) a 2009 bagger that will not pull an .stk. I can access codes, live data and ecm and cal part numbers. This is a replacement ecm that already has a power vision cal in it. The dealer did password learn without issue. Bike starts, runs, no codes (other than O2 codes from needing a tune). When trying to access ecm data it will cycle fuel pump and throttle blade but then goes into "failure to prepare ecu". Have tried pulling fuses to eliminate every electrical component in the system to no avail. Any ideas anyone?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

rigidthumper

Can the dealer flash a stock 2009 map back into the ECM? (That would reset any parameters, and give you a fighting chance)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

cheech

Are you using the original Powervision that was used to flash the Cal. that is currently in the ECM? Or have the license that was used to flash the ECM?

FXDBI

Quote from: cheech on June 08, 2020, 10:11:12 AM
Are you using the original Powervision that was used to flash the Cal. that is currently in the ECM? Or have the license that was used to flash the ECM?

:rtfb:    The power vision needs to be married to the ecm, if it isn't the same ecm that was flashed with that unit it wont work to tune. You can still access codes ect but it will not flash the ecm.  It will not work on another ecm with out a licence.  Bob

cheech

Quote from: FXDBI on June 08, 2020, 11:56:12 AM
:rtfb:    The power vision needs to be married to the ecm, if it isn't the same ecm that was flashed with that unit it wont work to tune. You can still access codes ect but it will not flash the ecm.  It will not work on another ecm with out a licence.  Bob
I'm aware of this! If you're are referring me to read the book. But he didn't specify if he has the Powervison married to the ECM (VIN), so was clarifying.
He just stated it had a Powervision calibration in it.

If the ECM has been flashed with a Powervision .PVT file.  Will it even have a .STK file to retrieve??
I'd think not. But  :nix:

aharp

Quote from: FXDBI on June 08, 2020, 11:56:12 AM

Yeah, Ive read the book, thanks. And I've tuned hundreds of bikes on the dyno and street with all kinds of tuners. I know that if it is not the original power vision that is married to the ecm that it will require a license. But if i cannot retrieve an .stk file then I obviously cannot get the license  :rtfb: This was a used replacement ECM for a custom FBW fuel injection project.

aharp

Not the original power vision nor do i have the license used to flash it originally. Obviously if i can pull live data then it's not a communication issue with the ecm and all wiring has been verified.

Coyote

Aaron, you sure it was tuned with a PV and not tuned and locked with a TTS?

aharp

Quote from: Coyote on June 08, 2020, 12:31:34 PM
Aaron, you sure it was tuned with a PV and not tuned and locked with a TTS?
The cal part number that is in it is 09T096002401

Jamie Long

Does the bike have aftermarket gauges? have you have made sure the PV firmware & tune database are current on the PV?

aharp

Quote from: Jamie Long on June 08, 2020, 02:40:28 PM
Does the bike have aftermarket gauges? have you have made sure the PV firmware & tune database are current on the PV?

Yes, it has an aftermarket tach/speedo combination from Koso. I removed all the fuses in the fuse block other than the ecm, battery, etc. needed to get the .stk file and it still did not work. Do I need to physically unplug the gauge? does it somehow communicate on the J1850 despite no power to the gauge? I also make sure my power vision units are up to date any time I use them.

Jamie Long

Quote from: aharp on June 08, 2020, 03:14:48 PM

Yes, it has an aftermarket tach/speedo combination from Koso. I removed all the fuses in the fuse block other than the ecm, battery, etc. needed to get the .stk file and it still did not work. Do I need to physically unplug the gauge? does it somehow communicate on the J1850 despite no power to the gauge? I also make sure my power vision units are up to date any time I use them.

Try unplugging the gauge

aharp

Quote from: Jamie Long on June 08, 2020, 06:31:54 PM
Try unplugging the gauge

HOT DAMN IT WORKED

Finally got it to pull the .stk, got the license generated and a new map loaded up. Apparently removing the fuse and power to the gauge is not enough, the J1850 must continue to use the gauge? I also noticed that it will not flash the ecm with the gauge plugged in either which makes me wonder if it could be auto tuned in basic mode? that is a curiosity since this one will be on the drum.

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

aharp

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

TXChop

Out of curiosity, do the dakota digit ones have the same issue?

Durwood

Quote from: TXChop on June 09, 2020, 05:41:07 AM

Out of curiosity, do the dakota digit ones have the same issue?
No issue with Dakota digitals that I have seen.

Aaron, I had the same issue with Koso's on a 2007 touring model. Simply unplugging the tach and speedo didn't work for me, I had to have the stock speedo and tach plugged in to get it to flash.