March 28, 2024, 11:22:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Thought on reaming wrist pin bushings

Started by waltcentral, June 08, 2020, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

Since there is a groove/slot in the bushing to allow oil into the bushing what prevents metal filings to fall down into the recess when reaming the bushings to size?

xlfan

The slot in the wrist pin bushing should line up with the slot on top of the rod, it shouldn't be possible for anything to fall into anything else than the crankcase if reamed with cylinders off.

waltcentral

I guess that I assumed low pressure oil was fed through the rod. So the wrist pin bushing is splash lubricated then! 

Hillside Motorcycle

Splash lubed from the sling-off of the pressurized crank pin/pinion shaft, as are the cylinder wall/pistons also.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Racepres

Trying to envision an Oil Passage thru the rod... Beyond me I guess with a Roller Bearing..
Interesting tho... hardly necessary IMO

JW113

In my younger days, I worked on Detroit Diesel engines. They have drilled rods that feed oil to the bottom side of the piston crown for cooling, but not so much as to lubricate the pin. The pin bushing has a groove around the middle, and the rod has an oil jet on the top of it. Dinosaur technology, today just about everybody uses oil jets in the block pointed at the piston, ala TC and beyond.

-JW

[attach=0,msg1350574]
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Racepres

^^^ Detroit Diesels had Roller Bearing Bottom Ends???
Nah... Not in My Day anyway.
How the hell they get oil from the Crank , up the Rod, with Rollers???

JW113

Not rollers, plain bearings with oil grooves cut in the middle.

-JW

waltcentral

Before I started this conversation I never really gave it much thought. I just assumed any plain bearing had a source of oil feed. That enough oil makes it to the bushing surface with pin to bushing clearance of as little as .0002 is kind of amazing to me.  With greater clearance on piston to pin I assume that most of the rotation is done there.

Burnout

Quote from: Racepres on June 10, 2020, 10:10:29 AM
^^^ Detroit Diesels had Roller Bearing Bottom Ends???
Nah... Not in My Day anyway.
How the hell they get oil from the Crank , up the Rod, with Rollers???

Ditto on roller bearings in Detroit Diesels, no rollers.

Any oil up the rod is more likely to cool piston than lube wrist pin.
Wrist pin doesn't need much lube.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

I don't think anybody claimed DD's have roller bearings, where did that come from? Back to topic, yes Harley piston pins are lubricated with splash oil. Same as just about every internal combustion engine made, right? Not sure why this is some sort of surprise to anybody.

-JW

crock

I've seen some industrial engines that have a small hole in the piston side of the rod that squirts a shot of oil at the piston every revolution.
Crock

Burnout

Quote from: JW113 on June 10, 2020, 06:04:11 PM
I don't think anybody claimed DD's have roller bearings, where did that come from? Back to topic, yes Harley piston pins are lubricated with splash oil. Same as just about every internal combustion engine made, right? Not sure why this is some sort of surprise to anybody.

-JW

These are the same folks who think a Harley is pressure lubricated.
These are the same folks who think Synthetic oil will make roller bearings skid.
These are the same folks who think because an oil cooler was not provided by HD it is not needed.
These are the same folks who have made drag pipes the de-facto standard.
These are the same folks who think Ape Hangers are cool.

:koolaid3:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Racepres

None of My Harleys need an oil Cooler... In fact the ones that came with it... from the Factory, are Covered..I don't live in AZ

Hossamania

Quote from: Burnout on June 11, 2020, 09:41:42 AM
Quote from: JW113 on June 10, 2020, 06:04:11 PM

-JW

These are the same folks who think a Harley is pressure lubricated.
These are the same folks who think Synthetic oil will make roller bearings skid.
These are the same folks who think because an oil cooler was not provided by HD it is not needed.
These are the same folks who have made drag pipes the de-facto standard.
These are the same folks who think Ape Hangers are cool.

:koolaid3:

Hey, drag pipes and apehangers are cool!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

Drag pipes are a fashion statement. The dyno has proven over and over that they are not the best for power. But like everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Apehangers were cool, especially when they were illegal,  today they are so common that they are passe. Just like high rise T-bars.

JMHO, of course!
:beer:

-JW

76shuvlinoff

I'll keep my chimps and  the Thunderheader. Took off my oil cooler and ran the oil thru the engine guard of a few years then I took it off too. ( it did work!) If I lived south of the Mason Dixon line I might put the oil cooler back on.  As-is my oil tank never shows more than 210F.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Racepres

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on June 11, 2020, 07:57:43 PM
I'll keep my chimps and  the Thunderheader. Took off my oil cooler and ran the oil thru the engine guard of a few years then I took it off too. ( it did work!) If I lived south of the Mason Dixon line I might put the oil cooler back on.  As-is my oil tank never shows more than 210F.
Be careful... oil that Never gets "hot" is more Harmful than Hot Oil...
Todays Lubricants can Handle Exponentially more heat [and Friction] than the Stuff our Dad grew up with..
Check MFG suggested Oil Change Intervals...then check Clearances... Tells the Tale.

prodrag1320

bushings should be honed with the lower end apart,not reamed.