April 24, 2024, 11:49:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dropped 3rd gear on my 128 built 19 CVO RG.. PICTURES

Started by scotman623, June 10, 2020, 06:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotman623

Well I definitely found the weak link on my 128 built  CVO RG... Was doing a rolling burnout and 3rd gear had all it could take, I heard grinding noise then the rear tire locked up... Luckily I was only like 2 miles from home and could limp the bike back in 2nd gear.... Looks like Grunge box time for me... I'm definitely very hard on my bikes...
Always look forward...

scotman623

Always look forward...

FSG

3rd is in the middle of the L to R stack, the weak point especially the way helical cut gears work   :crook:

kd

There has been a few threads about the OEM 3rd gear not holding up to extreme abuse. I have experienced it myself but I admit I was beating on it with hard shifts etc. (145 tq /149 hp).  What were your circumstances?/
KD

scotman623

Hard burnouts and small wheelies was my 3rd gear demise.... 146HP and 149 Torque my friend.
Always look forward...

kd

Quote from: scotman623 on June 10, 2020, 07:45:10 PM
Hard burnouts and small wheelies was my 3rd gear demise.... 146HP and 149 Torque my friend.

Yeah, some a bunch of that too.   :embarrassed:

To the OP, I went Grudgebox after #2.  I will keep a fresh OEM on the shelf but I hope I wont need it with the 40% heavier gears, trap door and the Timken main shaft brg..
KD

Nastytls

Are Grudge box's shipping quicker lately? Some people were waiting for months to get one and that was before the pandemic.

kd

The group on here (several members) that were waiting mostly purchased their builder kits on Black Friday or during Cyber Monday follow up week.  The story from Baker was one component was received not satisfactory and was held up in manufacturing being remade.

One other member recently put in a GrudgeBox after being dis-satisfied with his 7 speed.  I believe his came quicker but maybe he will chime in and confirm.
KD

mkd

Bobby Wood from Knight Prowler cams once told me something when i was asking him about performance mods on my new harley. he was talking about the cams i could get for the most bang for my buck. I listened and then asked a couple questions. what about mpg was one of them! and what about build reliability was the other. his answer i never forgot! "nothing is free"!

scotman623

Always look forward...

No Cents

find a good used gear set and send it to this guy.   :wink:
Cost will be close to the same as a Grudge box...and if you have him do the works to it, it will be as bullet proof as you can get a Harley tranny.

[attach=0]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

scotman623

Always look forward...

Nastytls

Multiple people have recommended those guys to me, so they must be doing good work.

Quote from: No Cents on June 12, 2020, 08:02:46 AM
   find a good used gear set and send it to this guy.   :wink:
Cost will be close to the same as a Grudge box...and if you have him do the works to it, it will be as bullet proof as you can get a Harley tranny.

[attach=0,msg1350817]

No Cents

if you do some digging around...you will find that R&D is one of the best in the biz when it comes to HD trannies.
Many of the top drag racers run his trannies.

Ohio HD

My only experience with R&D is they didn't have time to talk to me about going over my transmission, rebuild, strengthen, improve, etc. I suspect that if you don't know someone they know, your not in. I don't have time for companies like that. I bought a Baker Grudgebox instead. At least Baker will warranty the unit if there is an issue down the road. 

No Cents

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 12, 2020, 12:32:16 PM
My only experience with R&D is they didn't have time to talk to me about going over my transmission, rebuild, strengthen, improve, etc. I suspect that if you don't know someone they know, your not in. I don't have time for companies like that. I bought a Baker Grudgebox instead. At least Baker will warranty the unit if there is an issue down the road.

I know there are quit a few guys that don't answer the phones all the time because they are busy. Some are one and two man shops. Try getting ahold of wfolarry, Wes Brown, or George Bryce on the phone...just to name a few. Leave a message is sometimes all you can do. If they spent all their time on the phone they would never get any work done. Persistence is sometimes needed when your after a certain guy that offers something you need...and if your like me you want the best product available.

adayrider

Quote from: scotman623 on June 10, 2020, 07:45:10 PM

When you say small wheelies, do you mean in 1st gear wheelies or 3rd gear wheelies? I've been doing muffler dragging 1st gear wheelies thinking I was saving 3rd gear abuse.

Ohio HD

Quote from: No Cents on June 13, 2020, 07:02:08 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on June 12, 2020, 12:32:16 PM

I know there are quit a few guys that don't answer the phones all the time because they are busy. Some are one and two man shops. Try getting ahold of wfolarry, Wes Brown, or George Bryce on the phone...just to name a few. Leave a message is sometimes all you can do. If they spent all their time on the phone they would never get any work done. Persistence is sometimes needed when your after a certain guy that offers something you need...and if your like me you want the best product available.

They answered the phone Ray. The guy just said they didn't do that many HD transmissions, and really didn't have the time.  I asked when could he fit it in, he said he wasn't sure. All that may be true, but I also can tell he just wasn't interested in helping me. I was in no hurry, it was a month before I ordered the Grudgebox, so October of 2018.

Guys like Wes have called me back, I have no issue waiting because someone is busy. I had the same experience with Trac Dynamics. Too busy to make what you paid them to make. After a six month wait and many changing stories and promises, I went elsewhere.