April 18, 2024, 01:58:53 AM

News:

switch on dash

Started by michael133, June 12, 2020, 09:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael133

stop yesterday to get a cold drink.turn switch on to go,,,and nothing come on..no newtral light no oil light..well got power to switch,all terminal..but still no power to any thing..when turn on.  not good with electric.

1986 fxstc......

JW113

The dash mount switch is notorious to wear, but you can do a little reworking to get it function. Disconnect the battery, remove all the wires on the switch, remove the switch. Make sure all the wires and crimps are good and no broken wires at the crimp, this is common too. On the back side you'll see the point tipped contact points, and the "dumbell" that rotates across them. The contact points get dirty or worn, you can dress up with a file. And the dumbell gets very worn, you can push down on the center support shaft, remove the dumbell and flip it over. Reverse the removal process and you should be good to go. For a while anyway...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

thumper 823

In your tool kit, you should keep a couple of wires, ya never know when you need to hotwire around a bad switch or connection.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Hossamania

Did you try wiggling the switch a bit, run it all the way through it's motion, left to right, stop to stop? And, just because, is the kill switch on?
I've pulled my ignition switch apart and cleaned it a few times over the years. I also find that a good charge on the battery helps, not your initial problem, but might be contributing.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

michael133

thanks yall.it was a real dirty switch.took it of cleaned it up,for now.but that's what it was.till I get a new one.

Dan89flstc

The service manual will tell you how to disassemble the switch, with a diagram.

New OEM units are still available from the dealer for about 75 bucks.

Avoid the cheap aftermarket junk.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Appowner

Before putting a file to the switch contacts, I'd hose it down with a quality electronic contact cleaner.  WD-40 makes a good one but the best I've used is made by CRC.  Caution, fumes are very toxic.  Use outdoors and mind the wind.

If the contacts then need dressing up, I'd start with a dollar bill (old electronics trick).  Best way is to pinch it between two contacts and just pull it through.  Use the natural spring force of the switch to hold the contacts together.  No need to add any of your own force to pinch them together.  If that wasn't enough I'd go with some worn 3000 grit wet/dry sand paper.  Use it wet and be gentile.  Same as the dollar bill.  Blow dry the switch after.  Good idea to blow it out anyway just to clear out any garbage you don't see.

Now, a very fine file will work.  But it will remove more of the contact surface than necessary which will result in further reducing the life of the switch.  And either way, when you get to the point where a cleaner isn't enough.  You might want to start saving your pennies for a new switch.

And you guys thought a dollar wasn't worth anything anymore!  :)