May 05, 2024, 03:19:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Speedometer stops working sometimes

Started by 50Panhead, June 11, 2020, 11:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Panhead

I did a search and came up with nothing of interest here.

Working on a 2003 Electra Glide.

The Early Harley's the Speedometer for the most part was independent of the ECM but the speedometer sent a signal to the TSSM to cancel the turn signal. Is that correct?

Later when "Remaining Fuel Miles" was added did the Speedometer it go through the ECM?

Problem is the Speedometer sometimes just quits or drops off 10 or 20 mph before recovering.

Note: Odometer keeps clicking off miles when the speedometer stops.
The Sending unit was double checked and changed out with a good working one.

Sounds like to me the Speedometer is trying to take a dump.

Your Thoughts?

Thanks
What Do You Care What Other People Think

motorhogman

My experience 01 FLHT.   when this happened it was the speed sensor.  I think my directionals acted strange to. It was a long time ago so I'm not sure about the directionals but the speedo was doing something very similar.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

chipthedonkey

Your first thing to check should be the speed sensor.  Down in the top of the transmission case. Given what you're describing it might not even be bad. 

It's held in with one fastener.  Pop it out and wipe off the surface.  Reinstall and see if your problem goes away.  Just might.  If not replacing the sensor is easy and relatively inexpensive.

Scotty

Quote from: 50Panhead on June 11, 2020, 11:45:40 AM
The Sending unit was double checked and changed out with a good working one. (Speed Sensor double checked I assume)

If the odometer is still counting up miles then it more than likely is the speedometer itself that has gone bad.
When the speed sensor is bad the speedo and the odometer stop as nothing is registering.

50Panhead

Quote from: Scotty on June 11, 2020, 01:01:50 PM
Quote from: 50Panhead on June 11, 2020, 11:45:40 AM
The Sending unit was double checked and changed out with a good working one. (Speed Sensor double checked I assume)

If the odometer is still counting up miles then it more than likely is the speedometer itself that has gone bad.
When the speed sensor is bad the speedo and the odometer stop as nothing is registering.

Yes that is my thoughts too.

Thanks

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Scooterfish

Check speed sensor first for mental shavings .

I did have a speedometer go bad on an 05 Heritage. speedo would work sometimes, not work at all sometimes, going about 35 mph it would read 70-80 mph other times and bounce all around. as someone said odometer continued to record miles. 
Northern Indiana

50Panhead

No one answered this question.

The Early Harley's the Speedometer for the most part was independent of the ECM but the speedometer sent a signal to the TSSM to cancel the turn signal. Is that correct?

Only Scotty read this part

I changed out the sending unit with new one.
Problem is not in the sending unit.

motorhogman

Quote from: 50Panhead on June 12, 2020, 06:33:11 AM

Only Scotty read this part

I changed out the sending unit with new one.

Yep...I read right through that... My feeble mind was in "speed sensor" mode  Sending unit didn't register..This happens when you get old...
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Scotty

June 12, 2020, 03:56:14 PM #9 Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 04:12:11 PM by Scotty
Quote from: 50Panhead on June 12, 2020, 06:33:11 AM
Speedo sends VSS data to the ECM/Ignition Module and that feeds the TSM/TSSM
White/Yellow stripe from speedo to ECM/Ignition module and Grey/Yellow stripe from ECM/Ignition module to the TSM/TSSM

fleetmechanic

Years ago I replaced the speedometer on a 2001 police bike that was acting like this.  Threw away the original gauge before finding that the real issue was a pinched wire in the harness by the frame neck.  Don't remember what the odometer was doing though.

Appowner

08 FXSTC - I've had sporadic Speedo issues over the years.  Maybe 5-6 times.  Always something different.  Started when I replaced the OEM unit with one of those new ones HD came out with.  Not everything worked right away.  I decided to ride a bit and in doing so, it settled down and worked.  Then after it had been in the shop for an extended period of time (my issue, not the bikes) it just acted crazy.  Gage needles swinging madly or not at all.  Back light not working then on again and so on.  But after riding it for 20 miles or so everything once again settled down and worked.

Latest was last week.  Went for a ride, came home and when I shut it down, the back light stayed on.  Plugged it into the batt tender and came back in a half hour and the back light was off.  Hasn't repeated it yet.