April 20, 2024, 05:16:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Crossover pipe exhaust gasket

Started by aussie123, June 15, 2020, 09:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussie123

Is there a trick to install new crossover pipe exhaust gasket ? See pic , item 27..

I was going to ,,,
1. Dig out old gasket.
2. Get pipe expander , and expand end of crossover  pipe so new gasket will slide into  pipe.
3. Install crossover pipe as normal to header pipe , then clamp down ...

Or should I ,,
1. Expand end of crossover pipe , as above ,,
2. Install gasket over header pipe end . (not in crossover pipe).
3. Push crossover pipe over gasket and header pipe end .

Have been told this gasket can be a pain to install and can damage very easy ...

Thanks.  [attach=0] 

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Never had an issue. The Pipe is large enough to slide over without issue.
Tom

chaos901

Mine have gone together good too.  I do use some plumbers roll sandpaper to clean around the outside of the pipe that it needs to slide over, just to get a little help.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

JMHD

Quote from: aussie123 on June 15, 2020, 09:29:26 PM
Is there a trick to install new crossover pipe exhaust gasket ? See pic , item 27..

I was going to ,,,
1. Dig out old gasket.
2. Get pipe expander , and expand end of crossover  pipe so new gasket will slide into  pipe.
3. Install crossover pipe as normal to header pipe , then clamp down ...

Or should I ,,
1. Expand end of crossover pipe , as above ,,
2. Install gasket over header pipe end . (not in crossover pipe).
3. Push crossover pipe over gasket and header pipe end .

Have been told this gasket can be a pain to install and can damage very easy ...

Thanks.  [attach=0,msg1351207]
I have had good luck with the first process you mentioned. Also have had to expand them because the clamp crush's the crossover, and i have also tried the second process and it is very easy to destroy the gasket that way. Hope that helps. :beer:

lonewolf

aussie123

Thanks for your replies Gents,,

After removing the old gasket and cleaning the inside with sandpaper ,  I found a piece of metal pipe that was coned shaped one end , and tapped it into the end of crossover pipe.. This expanded the end enough without distorting the pipe end.
I am waiting on parts to arrive , so I used the old gasket , (what was left of it), to check if it would slide in ok,,, a couple of more taps with the metal pipe and that's good to go...

I forget to order a new clamp ,  the old one seems ok , well see !!

I will clean up the header pipe end ,, a bit of lube here and there ,, and it should be a trouble free install ..

PS .. I did order two gaskets ,, if there is a small problem .....

Cheers ,,,

aussie123

Update,,
New gasket turned up , so away we go...

Hmm,,,, The new gasket, (no doubt thicker than the worn old one), would only slide down half way of its length,,, if I forced it , it would only crush ... Got the pipe I was using to expand the crossover pipe end . Gave it a few more hits ,,, it would expand the front end of crossover pipe, but would not expand further down, where I need more expansion. If I kept going I would only damage the crossover pipe....

I was not going to buy an pipe expansion tool , as it would be a one off use item,,, So down to the local Exhaust Workshop,,,, They had a hydraulic press,,, Got the correct expansion end ,,, two minutes later gasket fits in correct location ,,,,  Only problem is,, the end of crossover pipe had to be expanded more, and the exhaust  clamp would not fit over the end however we tried....

Got a cheap exhaust clamp ,,(see pic),, tightened it around pipe end, in three locations so as not to deform pipe end ,,,, Brought pipe end in so far, so gasket was not crushed in any way ,,,, Exhaust clamp can now slide over end ,,, ready for installation on bike,,,  With a little anti seize ,,Crossover pipe slides over header pipe end,,, install L bracket ,,, install slipons ,,, torque all clamps etc  ,,,, Connection between crossover the header pipe has no play etc, (or exhaust leaks) ,, as good as the day the bike, (2015 Street Glide), came off the factory floor ....
I know this is a simple story ,, I just thought if someone was contemplating the above it would be of interest..
Besides ,, I like working on my bike ,,, [attach=0]

Hossamania

That's a lot of fiddling around to put an exhaust system on! Glad you got it, thanks for explaining the fun had by all.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.