April 17, 2024, 08:21:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

heated grips

Started by roadkingdresser, June 16, 2020, 04:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

A friend has a 2015 ultra-limited and wants to replace the heated grips. Has stock Harley now and they work off and on. What would be the most reliable brand to replace these? Thanks.
roadkingdresser

92flhtcu

Avon, their electricals are made by Namz the last 2 years
Need a bigger garage

Rockout Rocker Products

His stock HD grips had a 5 year run... I'd say that's pretty reliable  :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Hossamania

I personally will go stock on my "12 when time.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

roadkingdresser

No he's had trouble with them since he's owned the bike.
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

Could just have been a one off bad pair, a bad switch, or a loose connection. In general the stock ones are pretty reliable. As mentioned, mine are 8 years old, just ran them last week.

fleetmechanic

Quote from: Hossamania on June 16, 2020, 11:26:19 AM
Could just have been a one off bad pair, a bad switch, or a loose connection. In general the stock ones are pretty reliable. As mentioned, mine are 8 years old, just ran them last week.
:agree:  We've had several that quit or became intermittent on our police bikes and the easy answer was the small plug on the end of the right grip was loose or disconnected. Other than a failed rheostat in the left controller that seems to be the most common problem.

roadkingdresser

I thinking about talking him into a set of heated gloves-problem solved and cheaper! Thanks. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
roadkingdresser

Buglet

Have one bike here that turned sticker any solution or cause.

Hossamania

June 16, 2020, 03:44:07 PM #9 Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 03:49:57 PM by Hossamania
Quote from: roadkingdresser on June 16, 2020, 02:37:45 PM
I thinking about talking him into a set of heated gloves-problem solved and cheaper! Thanks. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Heated grips are easier to deal with, and it's nice to turn them in when it's not cold enough for gloves, especially heated gloves, but you just want to take the chill off. Also, you don't have to put on your heated jacket, or fight wires for the gloves. No guarantee they last longer than grips either.
I have both, (one bike without heated grips) one thing to be aware of when purchasing gloves: make sure the gauntlet is big enough to slip over your jacket sleeve. I have a pair of Gerbings in which the cuff is too small, I will be taking them in to a tailor to have an extension installed. Gloves do work very well, I'm not against them, just saying they are more work than grips.

Edit: I just looked up the price of grips, HD for $210, gloves are about $180, plus a thermostat for $50 to $100, so not any real cost savings.

motolocopat

Have two bikes with HD Heated grips and no problems.
I like that they are always on the bike.
If it is to cold with them and some decent leather gloves then it's to cold to ride
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

PoorUB

I would figure out what is wrong with the factory heated grips. They have been pretty decent the last few years so I would suspect that the control is bad, or there is lose wiring. I have them on my 2016 Limited and they have worked fine. If I had any complaint is they can get too hot. I run them on 1 or 2 in cool weather and rarely on 3 in severe cold, I have no idea what settings 4 and 5 are for, perhaps I could wrap a ham around the grip and cook it while ridding!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

I have put mine on 5 or 6 in extreme cold weather, just to get them heated quickly, they do not stay there long. Back down to 2 seems plenty warm in most conditions.
Combine it with a heated jacket liner, and Bob's your uncle!

cheech

Quote from: PoorUB on June 16, 2020, 06:41:07 PM
I would figure out what is wrong with the factory heated grips. They have been pretty decent the last few years so I would suspect that the control is bad, or there is lose wiring. I have them on my 2016 Limited and they have worked fine. If I had any complaint is they can get too hot. I run them on 1 or 2 in cool weather and rarely on 3 in severe cold, I have no idea what settings 4 and 5 are for, perhaps I could wrap a ham around the grip and cook it while ridding!
Bacon for sure!

Buglet

I see Kury Akyn makes a grip that goes over the stock heated Harley grip. I might give that a try. For some reason the stock heated grips turn sticky.

fleetmechanic

We had one pair of the HD black plastic ones that got sticky.  It was ridden by a rider who never wore gloves when it was warm.  I think the oil from his skin or the sweat from his hands affected them.

Hossamania

How thick does the grip get when sliding another over it? Definitely not something I'd be interest in.
I find regular washing with soap and water, scrubbing them, helps the grips stay in good condition.

Rockout Rocker Products

This may sound counter productive but...

I find the heated grips work best with thicker gloves. You might think that the gloves insulate your hands from the heat but what happens is the grip heats the whole glove... top and bottom. With no gloves or thin ones I find my palms hot  & the back of my hands cold.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

harpwrench

Mine have been intermittent on a '16 limited for 80k. I got to thinking last fall maybe it has something to do with canbus and the radio booting up. So if I turn them off until the radio boots up, they work 99% of the time. If I leave them on before starting the bike they work about half the time.  :scratch:

Heinz

With my 2010 CVO UC, my grips seem to only last about three years and then they just quit working. I've changed them out completely by removing the handlebars three or four times over the last 10 years, the last time being in 2016 and now they don't work again. And wiring for the pre canbus days is a lot more of a hassle and so I've just given up I wish that they would make them reliable and would last and then I wouldn't hesitate doing it again but I'm not going to do it for a couple of years for $350-$400.

sharkoilfield

56° latitude here; that's geographically north of Ketchikan Alaska.  We prefer Heat Demon brand over HD's own.  Your results waay down south may vary