April 24, 2024, 01:56:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What Can I Do?

Started by Appowner, June 16, 2020, 07:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appowner

OK, bike is a 08 FXSTC.  Nothing wrong with the bike, this is all about me.

Bike has been modified out of safety concerns to remove the foot pegs and replace with floor boards.  I have a couple of problems with this but first some background.

I have severe drop foot in both feet thanks to radiation treatments for colon cancer.  I have to wear braces that hold my feet at a near 90* angle to my leg.  IOW my ankles are held pretty much rigid.  The braces are articulated and spring loaded to hold things in place.  I have some movement but can push down only but not far.  Think gas and brake peddles in a car.  Rocking my toes up is impossible.  Last but not least the Chemo treatments cause my very mild diabetic neuropathy to get quite a bit worse.  I can not feel light touches on the bottoms of my feet.  Peddle feed back is something I simply live without.  This all poses some problems.

1. When the kickstand is down due to the brace holding things rigid, I can barely reach it with my foot to put it up.  So far putting it down has been no problem.  But some kind of extension for my foot to reach would be nice.  I'm thinking a steel wire/rod bent in a tall "U" shape and welded to the foot of the stand.  Having it stick out 3-4 inches.  Thoughts?

2. I also have the double shift lever but for the above and other reasons down shifting takes some real effort.  I have to exaggerate my leg motions to get on the shifter peg.  The front (downshift) lever is on the inside of the shifter shaft.  What would be nice is if I could Move it to the outside end of that shaft.  My Mechanic says it can't be done because of the shape of the rear shifter and the primary cover.  Moving the rear one inside on the shaft it would then run into the primary.  I can't upshift without that lever.  If this is just a matter of having a lever bent accordingly to live on the inside of the shaft, anyone make custom shift levers?

Exciting to say the least.  Maybe I should just hang a third wheel on the thing and call it a day?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice you guys may have.

chipthedonkey

You want to ride but you need to be safe.  Riding is never supposed to be hard (or make you think about it too much).  We're guys.  Thinking too much is NOT our best skill.  So screw it.  Go trike and keep right on riding.

Hossamania

Pingel makes a very nice electric shifter, a guy I met had severely damaged feet and ankles from a fall, he still rode using Pingel.
Talk to a fab shop or good indie shop that does some custom work about your mods, I'm sure they can bend something up for you. Or, I'll bet there is a longer peg extension available.
And, timely, I just got an email from Arlen Ness about kickstand extensions. Although, I'm sure they are not cheap. Drag or Dennis Kirk probably offer product as well.

Update: I just did a search of Harley extended shifter pegs, many offerings out there. Same with kickstand extensions.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Pingel also makes an extension but know that their stuff i$ dear.  Probably lots out there reasonably priced.  The shifter retails for over $1,000.00 but you see them used often.  They are somewhat model specific.  Get with HTT site supporter California Phil and save some while getting excellent service.

http://www.pingelcnc.com/flipbook/pingel-enterprise-catalog.pdf
KD

Hossamania

I saw shift peg extensions from $20 to well over $60, so not outrageous prices just for those.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PC_Hater

Have a look at this UK website  National Association of Bikers with a Disability
http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptations/LegDisabilities/

For sidestand problems have a look here:-
https://www.landingear.com/

Getting clever with Pingel parts should be a big help.
Hand change plus foot clutch and the landing gear kit may well be the ultimate for you.

I have seen hand change with the handclutch as part of the gearchange ever.

There is a UK biker paralised from the chest down, he still rides solo motorcycle using suitable technology.
It can be done.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S