April 23, 2024, 05:19:08 AM

News:

air pump for rear shocks

Started by chas, June 16, 2020, 06:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

I just purchased a hand pump to pump up my rear shocks on my 03 ultra. It screws on ok but i start pumping and nothing happens! The pressure valve on the pump reads 0 and never moves! Is it the pump or the shocks? I dont know, but i'm frustrated because i bottom out because of no pressure in the shocks. Please advise, and thanks in advance

thumpr54

should be able to try it on another valve stem...on a tire or something to compare....has to be screwed all the way on to work...
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

Hossamania

The pump is not screwing on all the way. Do you have a detachable backrest? If so, has the valve been moved to the new bracket? If so, the bracket is too thick and does not allow the pump to screw on properly. Remove the valve from the bracket and reattach the pump. I put my valve back to the original position, I can still get the pump on it.

Edit: I see it is an Ultra, so no detachable, but either way, the pump is not screwing on tight enough.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

chas

pretty sure i screwed it until i couldnt, but will try on another valve stem

kd

Quote from: chas on June 16, 2020, 07:16:29 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on June 16, 2020, 07:01:10 PM
The pump is not screwing on all the way. Do you have a detachable backrest? If so, has the valve been moved to the new bracket? If so, the bracket is too thick and does not allow the pump to screw on properly. Remove the valve from the bracket and reattach the pump. I put my valve back to the original position, I can still get the pump on it.

Edit: I see it is an Ultra, so no detachable, but either way, the pump is not screwing on tight enough.

Hoss, maybe the OP will confirm if it has a detachable tour pac.  They have similar base mounts to the back rest.
KD

PoorUB

Chas, like the others have said, the fitting is probably not screwing on far enough. There was a few models where the bracket that the air fitting was screwed through was so thick there was not enough of the air fitting sticking through. Does the air hose fitting run all the way down and against the bracket? If you does, there is your problem.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

Quote from: chas on June 16, 2020, 07:16:29 PM

Chas, what Hoss is saying is if the pump screws on until the fitting bottoms out on the plate the valve stem is mounted to, it isn't on far enough. The stem has to be sticking out far enough to let the pump screw on without bottoming on the mounting plate before it is tight on the threads.

I see PoorUB posted first. I'm saying the same thing said a little differently.
KD

chas

I will check it out again and see about the plate and the fitting-Thanks guys!

Screamin beagle

Mine had a thin nut on the outside of the bracket that holds the air valve. This nut kept the pump from scrrwing on all the way and i got no air. So each time i wanted to ad or remove air i had to take off that nut...good luck

Hossamania

Quote from: Screamin beagle on June 17, 2020, 05:38:18 PM
Mine had a thin nut on the outside of the bracket that holds the air valve. This nut kept the pump from scrrwing on all the way and i got no air. So each time i wanted to ad or remove air i had to take off that nut...good luck

Same issue I have.

thirdjld

I was using that air pump to explain air pressure to my Grandchildren. Putting air in a basketball wouldn't register any air pressure. I found I had to have above 10 -15 pounds of pressure before it registered. FWIW
John
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

76shuvlinoff

I loosen the saddle bag on that side and let it tip out to better get to the stem.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

jamminhd2000

If an air line is cracked or disconnected at fitting it will never register as well. I have also found rear air lines that were not routed properly and rear wheel rubbbed through air line....Jimmy

chaos901

I've had to change air lines too.  Always had to open the saddlebag to get the pump seated good too. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Hossamania

The OP's problem is not a bad fitting or cracked air line, but a fitting issue at the valve.