April 19, 2024, 10:09:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

batwing fairing vent

Started by chas, June 17, 2020, 05:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

I have an 03 ultra, and was wondering if there is a way to vent the fairing like the newer ultras? Is there a kit that can be installed? I have a buffeting problem cause i sit tall in the air stream with 6" windshield. I have a 13in shield but I want some air in summer with the 6in. Does the vent really stop most of the buffeting?

biglew55

2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

FloridaJim5

chas

chas

I have a ultra with a 8in windshield, the wind stream is right over my helmet. I'm getting buffetting at my ears thats annoying as you can imagine! If i drill a few 1in holes in the windshield is this going to releave the low pressure behind the windshield and ultimately stop the buffeting at my ears?

geezerglide

I have a I think a Freedom recurve Touring Wind Shield on my Street Glide and it works great. Also, if you haven,t add the fork deflect ptotesting also fairing side deflectors that go rid of buffeting. Also have look at Clearview recurve shields also.

smoserx1

It might but you might end up needing a taller windshield.  I have found out it seems to be a function of not only the height of the shield but the distance from you to the shield.  The standard height shield of my FLHT is perfect for me.  I can put my hand up and I have 3 or 4 inches above my helmet before I feel the wind with my hand.  My brother rides a Honda Valkyrie and it has a windshield about the same height as mine but his shield is located considerably further forward on that bike and the air comes back down and it feels like someone constantly lightly jabbing my helmet with a boxing glove.  However you also don't want a shield so tall you can't see over the top of it in rain or even worse fog.  Just have to try.  Some folks might even have to end up cutting one to get it just right.

Tommy D

Quote from: chas on June 20, 2020, 07:06:34 PM
I have a ultra with a 8in windshield, the wind stream is right over my helmet. I'm getting buffetting at my ears thats annoying as you can imagine! If i drill a few 1in holes in the windshield is this going to releave the low pressure behind the windshield and ultimately stop the buffeting at my ears?

Tried many on my Ltd... Klock, Freedom, Long Ride etc....HD Wind Splitter was the best for me
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/wind-splitter-10-in-windshield/p/57400206
Acts 4:12

Ratfade

A re-curve windshield and chrome fork lowers should solve the problem nicely.

PoorUB

June 21, 2020, 07:15:04 AM #9 Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 07:20:34 AM by PoorUB
Guys look at it funny, but I don't care, it works! I bought a 8" smoked windshield off Ebay for $35, and added this, X-Creen It looks a bit weird, but I had helmet buffeting so bad I couldn't focus on road signs, I would have a killer headache after a few hours on riding. I spent many hundreds of dollars buying, and also spent a lot of time trying out different windshields at HD dealers before I bought the X-creen. It works! I had one on my 2010 when I traded it in, and immediately bought another for my 2016.

Great thing is it is adjustable, so I can drop it down even with the top of the 8" windshield, or extend it up in crappy weather.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Tollbooth

Tried 5 windshields on my 16 Limited. The wind buffeting was bad till Klockworks 10 inch. The shorter Klockworks did not eliminate the buffeting but was better. I bought the 10 inch and cut the bottom section to be able to see over in the rain. Been 4 years still love it.

chas

I have seen windshields with the vent cut into the shield, does anyone have one and does the vent cut down the buffeting?

sharkoilfield

We tried all the same old remedies on the wifes '08 FXDL QD HD windshield and a pair of Vetter fairing snap-vents was the best improvement. Not easy to install, though...

smoserx1

I am going to say the same thing I did in your other post and no I don't thing installing a fairing vent or drilling the windshield will work.  You are trying to eliminate the low pressure area (rarefaction) behind the windshield and I don't believe that is what is causing the buffeting.  I think the problem is caused by the  windshield you have channeling the wind at exactly the wrong place (at the top of your helmet) and I believe the only real solution is a taller windshield (like what came stock) or no windshield at all.  Does your bike have the air dam that some of them used to have?  That is an arc shaped piece of metal installed on the triple tree right about the level of the engine top.  If so you may want to remove it and see if that helps.  At one time harley made a black plastic wind deflector (58204-98) that was 4 inches tall for folks who liked air in their face in the summer.  It may still be available from the dealer.  Here is one on ebay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FAIRING-WINDSHIELD-4-BLACK-FITS-FLH-1996-TO-2013-NEW-58204-98/153845681514?hash=item23d1eacd6a:g:kc4AAOSwh-JeVZ4r

Or, you can just try removing the windshield all together.  I don't see anything wrong with that and don't think it would look all that bad.

wolf_59

http://www.fastaire.com/products/aero-windshields.php
I've been using one of these for 6-7 years now on my 06 Ultra in the 9 in. size at 5'10" it puts the wind just barley over the top of my helmet
https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/839/dragon-wing-variable-air-deflectors
And I use these for when it's super hot to get a little air flow (they stay closed most of the time)

Otter656

I'd put a plug in for Madstad (if you can handle the looks). Put one on my 2011 RG and very happy, very smooth - the "X-creen" mite be a cheaper route tho since you already have a windscreen, and looks like it works the same way.

Good luck gettin rid of that buffeting!

hbkeith

im only 5'9 and have a 8" that i see over , if you sit tall and have only a 6" , nothing will stop air that high above shield

rredneckn2

Quote from: Otter656 on June 24, 2020, 11:18:29 AM
I'd put a plug in for Madstad (if you can handle the looks). Put one on my 2011 RG and very happy, very smooth - the "X-creen" mite be a cheaper route tho since you already have a windscreen, and looks like it works the same way.

Good luck gettin rid of that buffeting!
x2 on the Madstad. I have one on my 08 SG and ran one on my road glide also.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it